Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Review of To Kill a Warlock by H.P. Mallory

Title: To Kill a Warlock
Author: H.P. Mallory
Pages: 210
Source: Obtained free from Amazon (July 3, 2012)
Format: ebook
Rating: 3.5 stars

Summary from Goodreads: The murder of a dark arts warlock.A shape-shifting, ravenous creature on the loose. A devilishly handsome stranger sent to investigate. Sometimes working law enforcement for the Netherworld is a real bitch.

Dulcie O’Neil is a fairy. And not the type to frolic in gardens. She’s a Regulator—a law-enforcement agent who monitors the creatures of the Netherworld to keep them from wreaking havoc in the mortal world.

When a warlock is murdered and Dulcie was the last person to see him alive, she must uncover the truth before she’s either deported back to the Netherworld, or she becomes the next victim.

To Kill a Warlock is a hilarious read that is pure enjoyment.

Dulcie is a fun character. She's spunky, quirky and really wants to be a romance writer...oh and she's also a fairy. Dulcie is somehow corralled into working with this gorgeous stranger to catch a murder, and her life gets flipped upside down in the process. While the situation may not be ideal, Dulcie is the type of character to do what is needed of her, even if it means red leather, and black feathers.  I did really liked Dulcie as a character, but I wish she would have had a little more depth.  She was funny, but I felt like by the end of the novel I never really got to know her. For me, if I don't feel attached to the main characters I have a hard time connecting with the rest of the book.

H.P. Mallory made sure to not forget any paranormal creature as she was writing To Kill a Warlock. We've got vampires, werewolves, fairies, witches, loki and even a gnome. I loved the interesting mix of paranormal creatures and the plot that intertwined them all was easy to follow and kept you wanting more.  There are some fun scenes where Knight is partially possessed by the creatures blood and he becomes quite the horny teenage boy.  I was literally laughing out loud and could feel Dulcie’s frusteration. 

To Kill a Warlock was a fast read that quite entertaining.  It is one of those reads I would consider "mind candy", but hey who doesn't like a treat every now and then?  If you're looking for a book that's light, fun and easy to get lost To Kill a Warlock is the perfect choice.

4 comments:

  1. I love a book that is just fun and entertaining every once in a while. This one sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like books that make me laugh. I didn't even have to read your review of this one to know it was going to be funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes a funny light read is just what is needed...sounds like this delivers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lisa!

    I love a mix of paranormal creatures as well. I'm a huge fan of Mallory's Jolie series, but I have yet to try this one. I will have to soon.

    This review was selected by random.org as the winner for the Why Buy the Cow September prize! If you would like to claim the prize, please e-mail me. If I don't get a response from you in 48 hours, a new winner will be selected. TY for participating!

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.