Monday, February 4, 2013

Audio Review of The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan

Title: The Mark of Athena (Heroes of Olympus, #3)
Author: Rick Riordan
Narrator: Joshua Swanson
Published by: Listening Library
Length: ~ 15 hours
Source: Library
Format: Audio
Rating: 4 stars

Summary from Goodreads: Annabeth is terrified. Just when she's about to be reunited with Percy—after six months of being apart, thanks to Hera—it looks like Camp Jupiter is preparing for war. As Annabeth and her friends Jason, Piper, and Leo fly in on the Argo II, she can’t blame the Roman demigods for thinking the ship is a Greek weapon. With its steaming bronze dragon masthead, Leo's fantastical creation doesn't appear friendly. Annabeth hopes that the sight of their praetor Jason on deck will reassure the Romans that the visitors from Camp Half-Blood are coming in peace.

And that's only one of her worries. In her pocket Annabeth carries a gift from her mother that came with an unnerving demand: Follow the Mark of Athena. Avenge me. Annabeth already feels weighed down by the prophecy that will send seven demigods on a quest to find—and close—the Doors of Death. What more does Athena want from her?

Annabeth's biggest fear, though, is that Percy might have changed. What if he's now attached to Roman ways? Does he still need his old friends? As the daughter of the goddess of war and wisdom, Annabeth knows she was born to be a leader, but never again does she want to be without Seaweed Brain by her side.

The Mark of Athena was an intriguing mix of Greek and Roman mythology sure to command your time and attention. 

How I love Percy Jackson!  I wasn't too sure about the first two books in this spin off series of the original Percy Jackson and the Olympians but The Mark of Athena shined and made me appreciate the Heroes of Olympus just as much. 

The seven demi-gods of the quest finally meet up and start their adventure.  Each of these characters have such distinct and unique personalities that even though there are many main characters there are is no trouble keeping them apart or seeing one as the weak link.  I love that Rick Riordan gave each of them a special talent and something completely their own.  I think people can really relate to this by each of us having our own talents and gifts that we can contribute to a whole and make it that much stronger.  And here you thought that a middle grade fantasy book would teach you nothing about life's important lessons...leave it to Mr. Riordan to prove you and I wrong. 

Not only did The Mark of Athena have great characters, there was always some sort of action to keep you on your toes.  Of course there were some epic battle scenes, but also there were puzzles and mind games that the characters had to work their way through.  Sometimes the battles they were fighting were not even external, but instead some weakness or insecurity in themselves.  The plot was very well rounded and the story definitely could stand on it's own instead of just being a place holder in a series. 

Joshua Swanson has read all of the Heroes of Olympus novles and does a wonderful job.  His different inflections for each characters voice really brings them to life and gives us more insight into who the character is.  I really love his voice for Leo.  It's a bit rough and gravelly and adds so much to his character.  I hope he continues on with the series as now I am so used to his voice it would be a shock for me to hear another. 

I definitely enjoyed The Mark of Athena best out of all the books in the Heroes of Olympus series and after the gaps-inducing ending of this book, I can't wait to see what happens next. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm very glad you enjoyed this one! I still haven't started The Lost Hero yet, but though I'm certain I will enjoy it, I'm not so sure it will be as good as Percy Jackson. But after reading your review I feel like I have to give this series a try soon :) Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never was able to get into Percy, but glad that you are loving them more as series goes on.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.