Thursday, June 2, 2011

Review of Haven by Kristi Cook

Title: Haven
Author: Kristi Cook
Published by: Simon Pulse
Pages: 416
Source: won in a contest
Rating: 3/5

From GoodreadsOne month into her junior year, sixteen-year-old Violet McKenna transfers to the Winterhaven School in New York’s Hudson Valley, inexplicably drawn to the boarding school with high hopes. Leaving Atlanta behind, she’s looking forward to a fresh start--a new school, and new classmates who will not know her deepest, darkest secret, the one she’s tried to hide all her life: strange, foreboding visions of the future. But Winterhaven has secrets of its own, secrets that run far deeper than Violet’s. Everyone there--every student, every teacher--has psychic abilities, 'gifts and talents,' they like to call them. Once the initial shock of discovery wears off, Violet realizes that the school is a safe haven for people like her. Soon, Violet has a new circle of friends, a new life, and maybe even a boyfriend--Aidan Gray, perhaps the smartest, hottest guy at Winterhaven. Only there’s more to Aidan than meets the eye--much, much more. And once she learns the horrible truth, there’s no turning back from her destiny. Their destiny. Together, Violet and Aidan must face a common enemy--if only they can do so without destroying each other first.

I'm not sure why, but I love novels that are set in a boarding school.  It might have somthing to do with the mystery that surrounds them along with their elite status.  I loved my time in the college dorms being surrounded by so many amazing people and I imagine a boarding school is much like that.  Now put together the fact that this is a boarding school for people with psychic powers makes the plot that much greater. 

I loved the tight knit group of friends Violet made.  These people were there for Violet when she needed them and were pretty fantastic both with their powers and their personalities.  Each of her friends has their own special ability that makes them unique and completely lovable. 

As for Violet and Aidan I never really felt much of a connection to either of them.  They felt a bit distant to me and I could never really grasp my feelings for them.  I think it might have something to do with their "insta-romance."  Don't get me wrong I believe in love at first sight, but most of the time it takes more than that first sight to start a relationship. 

The one thing I really enjoyed about this book was the twist of the physic abilities everyone at Winterhaven had.  The author said to imagine this book as X-Men meets Twilight and I completely agree with her.  It took some of my favorite things about the X-Men characters and added a paranormal twist. 

Overall it was an enjoyable read and left you wondering what was going to happen next. 

4 comments:

  1. A mix of X-Men and Twilight ? That sounds pretty good !! I look forward to read this one ! Thanks for the review Lisa ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this one quite A bit! I wasn't a big fan of Aiden though, he was…moody. I'm also curious to see what happens next. Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds very interesting. I'm going to read it. Thank you for a great review.
    ~Isabella http://bookgardenreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have always been a bit fascinated by boarding schools too, I never thought about it until I read your review though. I guess that's why I loved The Facts of Life! LOL

    Great review by the way.

    I'm a new follower from Book Blogs, so nice to meet you :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.