Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Review of Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Title: Under the Never Sky
Author: Veronica Rossi
Published by: HarperCollins
Pages: 268
Source: Publisher/NetGalley
Format: ebook
Rating: ★★★★★

Summary from Goodreads: Aria has lived her whole life in the protected dome of Reverie. Her entire world confined to its spaces, she's never thought to dream of what lies beyond its doors. So when her mother goes missing, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland long enough to find her are slim.

Then Aria meets an outsider named Perry. He's searching for someone too. He's also wild - a savage - but might be her best hope at staying alive.

If they can survive, they are each other's best hope for finding answers.

What a way to start off 2012.  If all of the debut authors are as good as Veronica Rossi, my TBR pile will be growing exponentially.

We start out by meeting Aria.  I wasn't really sure about Aria at first.  She was really sheltered and judgemental.  I'm sure I would be freaked to no end to be kicked out of my home and left to die, but I think I would hopefully accept any help, especially if it was given by the same person who saved my life days earlier.  Throughout the novel she ends up growing tremendously as a character.  Not only does she physically grow stronger, but she comes to realize that not everything is so black and white.  By the end of the story I really came to care for Aria and understand her inner strength and resilience.

One of the best things about this novel was the relationship between Aria and Perry.  There are so many complex emotions going on between the two.  Their alliance was formed under duress and their hatred for one another was evident.  As the spend more time together their feelings get confused and their emotions are in an uproar.  I really enjoyed the slow burning romance between the two.  For some reason the whole enemies turned lovers is a really gripping tale, especially when they are fighting for their lives.  And the best thing...the story is told in alternating POVs between the two, so we get both sides of the story.  I truly loved that part. 

Veronica Rossi creates a world like no other.  Where some people live in a made up, virtual life, others are fighting for their survival.  The sky is an enemy along with the cannibals, disease and other savages.  This novel was so gripping that I had a hard time putting it down and often read into the early hours of the morning.  And my favorite thing about this novel was the ending.  It was done fabulously.  The main conflict was resolved, but the bigger issues are still there.  This lady knows how to write a cliffhanger the right way!    

While I still have some questions about the Aether and other things, I am left wondering and not confused like other novels have left me.  I think Veronica Rossi figured out the perfect combination of how much information to give and how much to withhold to keep us wanting more.

2 comments:

  1. I am really intrigued for the sequel for this one. This one didn't quite live up to all my expectations, but it definitely built a storyline that I am excited for in the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Under the Never Sky is the first in a series, and there was definitely a cliff hanger at the end that made me want to know more. I loved it and can't wait to see what happens to Aria and Perry as their adventure continues!

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.