Top Ten Books I Think Would Make Great Book Club Picks
I going to cheat a little and list 10 book that my bookclubs have done and really enjoyed.
1. The Kindness of Strangers by Katrina Kittle. This is a wonderful and heart-wrenching novel. It's one of those novels that stick with you long after your done reading it.
2. Whistling in the Dark by Lesley Kagen. Lesley is from our town and coincidentally Whistling in the Dark also takes place in Milwaukee in the late 1950s. A story of sisters companionship, a mystery and lots of action this is a must read.
3. My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira. A novel about a women's quest to become a doctor in the midst of the civil war.
4. The Life You Longed For by Maribeth Fischer. Another heart-wrenching tale about a mother accused of Munchhausen Syndrome by Proxy while trying to care for her 3 year old son who has mitochondrial disease. This is definitely a book you are going to want to discuss with others.
5. The Street of a Thousand Blossoms by Gail Tsukiyama. A gorgeous tale about life, love and family. Set in Japan in the late 1930s and spanning 30 years this novel lets you grow with the characters and follow them on their path.
Young Adult Bookclub
1. The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson. Jenna wakes up from a coma and has no idea who she is. This tale of bio-medical ethics and humanity will leave your bookclub discussion riveting and talking long past your time.
2. Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta. This is the novel that made me fall in love with Melina Marchetta's writing. Our bookclub just gushed for an hour over how amazing this book was and how the interwoven tales left us hopeful and heartbroken.
3. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. This follows the life of a young girl in Germany during WWII. This is one of the most beautiful descriptions of death I've read and this novel will touch your heart and soon become of favorite.
4. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. A classic at any age.
5. A Northern Light by Jennifer Donnelly. With beautiful writing, and intriguing mystery and a touch of romance this was a great book.