Monday, November 26, 2012

Review of Pure (Covenant #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Pure (Covenant #2)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Published by: Spencer Hill Press
Pages: 329
Source: Library
Format: Paperback
Rating: 4 stars

Summary from GoodreadsThere is need. And then there is Fate

Being destined to become some kind of supernatural electrical outlet isn't exactly awesome--especially when Alexandria's "other half" is everywhere she goes. Seth's in her training room, outside her classes, and keeps showing up in her bedroom--so not cool. Their connection does have some benefits, like staving off her nightmares of the tragic showdown with her mother, but it has no effect on what Alex feels for the forbidden, pure-blooded Aiden. Or what he will do--and sacrifice--for her.
When daimons infiltrate the Covenants and attack students, the gods send furies--lesser gods determined to eradicate any threat to the Covenants and to the gods, and that includes the Apollyon and Alex. And if that and hordes of aether-sucking monsters didn't blow bad enough, a mysterious threat seems willing to do anything to neutralize Seth, even if that means forcing Alex into servitude or killing her.
When the gods are involved, some decisions can never, ever be undone.

Exciting, enticing, and downright addicting.

Pure is one of those novels that exceeded my expectations.  Usually the second book in a series is kind of a let down for me since instead of any real action, they seem more of a filler to set up the next book in the series.  However, Pure gripped me from page one and kept me wanting more. 

Get ready for an emotional rollar coaster.  I'm not talking about one of those kiddie ones at the fair, I'm talking about one of those huge old wooden ones where you get butterflies just looking at it.  Literally while reading this book, one minute you'll be laughing and the next you'll be wishing you bought stock in Kleenex for how many tissues you will go through....it's that good. 

Most of the characters are very complex and bring more to the table then you'd expect.  That being said though, I'm never really sure how I feel about Alex.  I think she's impulsive, has a bad temper, but is truly a good person inside.  Sometimes her actions are over the top and I want to tell her to step back and think about the consequences.  I think this affects her more in this novel than it previously had.  I do admire her though. and feel bad that she is in love with someone who she's forbidden to be ina relationship with, much less love.  With a twist of cruel fate though, she is destined to be with someone else.  I usually don't like love triangles, but Jennifer L. Armentrout has done an amazing job of making this one feel real.  There seems to be true emotion for every party involved and while I am definitely rooting for one of them the other guy is slowing sneaking into my heart. 

This series has hooked me and I can't wait to see where the story goes next.  Has anyone else read Pure?   What are your thoughts on the love triangle between Alex, Adrian, and Seth?

1 comment:

  1. Sigh, all of these series I haven't started yet. I'm glad this one was good, though. The second books in series are often so disappointing.

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.