Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Review: Slice of Cherry by Dia Reeves

11337089Title: Slice of Cherry
Author: Dia Reeves
Published by: Simon Pulse
Pages: 505
Source: Bought
Format: Paperback
Rating: 1.5

Summary from Goodreads: Kit and Fancy Cordelle are sisters of the best kind: best friends, best confidantes, and best accomplices. The daughters of the infamous Bonesaw Killer, Kit and Fancy are used to feeling like outsiders, and that’s just the way they like it. But in Portero, where the weird and wild run rampant, the Cordelle sisters are hardly the oddest or most dangerous creatures around.


It’s no surprise when Kit and Fancy start to give in to their deepest desire—the desire to kill. What starts as a fascination with slicing open and stitching up quickly spirals into a gratifying murder spree. Of course, the sisters aren’t killing just anyone, only the people who truly deserve it. But the girls have learned from the mistakes of their father, and know that a shred of evidence could get them caught. So when Fancy stumbles upon a mysterious and invisible doorway to another world, she opens a door to endless possibilities…

Slice of Cherry is definitely not like anything you've ever read before.  Dia Reeves puts her own twist on a coming of age, horror story with a touch of fantasy.

I have to admit that the cover and then the synopsis is what drew me to this book.  I do not typically read this type of novel, but I wanted to give it a try.  For me it was a little too realistic to be fantasy, and little too light to be horror.  I'm not really sure what I would classify it as, but this novel wasn't for me.

The characters were well developed, though it was often difficult to determine what type of people they were.  At times I felt I could really like them and understand them and then they tortured and killed someone without remorse and it became a game to them.  Maybe I'm too sensitive or I just read Slice of Cherry at a time when there were too many stories in the news of teens killing people "because they were bored," but I didn't understand the torture and killing from these girls.  

There were some redeeming parts to Slice of Cherry as well, like the parts featureing the siblings fighting, the coming of age of Fancy, and the towns dynamics (what we saw of it) I enjoyed.  They are what kept me reading from page to page.  Though, I'm still really confused about the monsters...not the human ones, but the ones living in the woods.  Can anyone explain them to me?  I felt like I didn't understand this world or that it wasn't developed enough for it to add to the story.    

One thing that is remarkable is the originality of Slice of Cherry.  I have never come across another plot or story-line quite like this one.  While I didn't understand the girls, I think if the world and some of the smaller details of the book would have been explored further I could have ended up liking this story more.

It is not a bad story and if you think you may be interested, I would say you should read it.  However, this story was not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.