Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Character Names I Love

Today I'm participating in Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.


Top Ten Character Names I Love

1. Calla from Nightshade by Andrea Cremer.  I have loved this name since I first open this novel.  I think it is so pretty.  I also like the nickname of Lily for Calla even though it is totally corny.  
Nightshade (Nightshade, #1)
2. Aria from Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi.  I literally feel like the name Aria is sung instead of spoken.  It instantly brings to mind gorgeous flowing melodies.
Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1)
3. Ginevra from the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling.  I do like both Ginevra and Ginny both, but Ginevra sounds more regal.  
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
4.  Scarlett from Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.  Such a gorgeous name.
Gone with the Wind
5. Aurora from Sleeping Beauty.  I don't know if this is her name in the original story, but I have liked this name since I was little and first saw the movie.
Disney Princess Sleeping Beauty
6. Guinevere from The Lady of Shalott by Alfred Tennyson.  Yes this is very similar to Ginevra but I do adore them both. 

7.  Lancelot from The Lady of Shalott by Alfred Tennyson.  Maybe it's just Camelot but I'm loving all their names...well maybe not Merlin.  
The Lady Of Shalott
8. Lyra from The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman.  Not sure why I like this one, I just do.
The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1)
9. Holden from The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger.  I think the name Holden is unique and masculine yet not overly masculine.  
The Catcher in the Rye
10. Sebastian from The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare.  Another name that I've always been drawn to + I think the Urban Dictionary definition of Sebastian is hilarious.  Here is a little peak of it
 "Sabastian a perfect specimen of a man. Well manicured, clothes pressed, whitest teeth ever. A passionate lover, friend, and art fanatic. Publishes poetry and woes all the girls. Danger keep away your women because he is the smoothest of all operators"
City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3)
What are some names from literature that you like or that you have always been drawn to?

13 comments:

  1. omg, I spit my milk on my keyboard over the urban dictionary definition. I didn't know they did names on there, I will have to go look up some now!! And I love the name Lyra, Its the first I heard it but I love it for sure!!

    My Top Ten

    Amber @Paradise of Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That definition just sealed the deal for me on this name. It's too perfect.

      Delete
  2. I love Aria and Aurora, such beautiful names!

    Check out My TTT

    Xoxo. Daisel @ Owl Always Be Reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another King Arthur/Camelot fan! So glad to stumble across this post and see that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I put Arya from A Song of Ice and Fire. It is such a beautiful name and I noticed it is rising in popularity among baby names in the last couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen the TV show but I really want to get around to reading that series. I love all the names!

      Delete
  5. Good list! Unfortunately the name "Aria" has been ruined for me by the character in Pretty Little Liars. I like that show but Aria is my least favorite of the girls...I just feel like that actor has approximately one facial expression and I have no patience with her!

    Ginevra is a great one though...I forgot that was Ginny's real name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate how that happens when you "meet" someone and they ruin a name for you.

      Delete
  6. I really love all these older sounding names. They're so pretty! At first I thought Aria's name was a little cheesy, but I think it's perfect now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have a thing for older sounding names.

      Delete
  7. great list, Aurora is a name that my accent skews so badly lol.

    Check out my Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Lira, too. She's such a great character and it's a pretty name. You have a good list!

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.