Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Review of The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks

Title: The Lucky One
Author: Nicholas Sparks
Narrator: John Bedford Lloyd
Published by: Hachette Audio
Length: 9 sound discs (ca. 10.5 hr.)
Source: Library
Format: Audio
Rating: 3 stars

Summary from Goodreads: Is there really such thing as a lucky charm? The hero of Nicholas Sparks's new novel believes he's found one in the form of a photograph of a smiling woman he's never met, but who he comes to believe holds the key to his destiny. The chain of events that leads to him possessing the photograph and finding the woman pictured in it is the stuff of love stories only a master such as Sparks can write.

I have a confession.  I read this book only because I wanted to see the movie...umm hello did you see Zac Efron...let's just say someone isn't in high school anymore. 

Anyway I used to read a lot of Nicholas Sparks novels but after awhile they all started sounding the same to me.  I would actually get them confused myself when I would talk to people about them.  So how did The Lucky One hold up?  It was ok, but it still felt formulated and like something I read before.  What a complete and utter jerk.  Throughout the story there was good character development and Logan and Elizabeth seemed to have some chemistry.  Their interactions where a bit awkward at first, but it was the cute kind of awkward of two people who are attracted to each other and are just getting to know one another.  I like that Logan was respectful of others, but still held his own ground and refused to be walked over.  He was also great with Elizabeth's son and let him just be who he was.  I think this is a great quality in a guy that he accepts children for who they are instead of trying to change them.  My favorite character was Zeus who was great.  I only wish I had a dog that well behaved and trained.

The narrator of this novel, John Bedford Lloyd, had a very pleasant voice.  It was deep, a bit rough and slightly southern.  Of course the whole time I listened to this novel I was picturing Zac and to me the voice didn't fit him, but that is my fault for already putting a face to a character. 

While this book had some good elements it wasn't my favorite, though I am still excited to see the movie. 

5 comments:

  1. I watched the movie in Curacao and I really enjoyed it. It's a good movie, not my favourite Mr. Sparks movie, but stil enjoyable. :) And yes, he is HOT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pretty much only listened to this book because of the movie too. And I agree with your review. I really didn't see the point of the cop's POV. It made is last act less redeeming because by that point, I couldn't stand him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see the movie of this one. I just can't bring myself to read a Nicholas Sparks movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know that Phen375 provides so much more than your
    common dietary tablet. The value of Phen375 is
    much higher in terms of ingredients used for making it.
    Phen375 however is produced under controlled facilities, is authorized and helpful to you, the customer, without doctor's prescription.

    Also visit my site: fat loss

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.