Thursday, May 10, 2012

Review of Father Mine: Zsadist and Bella's Story by J.R. Ward

Title: Father Mine: Zsadist and Bella's Story (Black Dagger Brotherhood #6.5)
Author: J.R. Ward
Published by: New American Library
Pages: 91
Source: Bought
Format: ebook
Rating: ★★★

Summary from Goodreads: Readers met and fell in love with Zsadist and Bella in J. R. Ward-s third New York Times bestselling novel in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, Lover Awakened. As a former blood slave, Zsadist bore the scars from a past filled with suffering and degradation until Bella came along and helped heal his emotional wounds. Now, though, with the birth of their child, the demons of his past have been resurrected, called forth by the innocent eyes of his beloved daughter, Nalla. Unless Bella and Nalla can bring him back with their love, he may be lost to them forever.

Can you go through a slump when reading about hot, fierce, deadly, and drop dead sexy vamps?  Apparently I have.  This book and the last book just were not up to par for me.  I'm sure it had something to do with Father Mine being a novella, but I really hope the rest of the series goes back to being as fabulous as the first couple books were.  I must admit that never really been a huge fan of novellas because I don't think you're given enough time to really get into the story or the characters.  That being said, I probably need to go into a novella with a different style of thinking than when starting a book.  Enough senseless rambling...on to the story.

In Father Mine, Bella and Zsadist are going through a rough time.  Zsadist can't quite connect with his child and in fact won't touch her.  His past is taking over his future and torturing him by making him think he isn't enough for his daughter.  This breaks my heart.  A child is so innocent with no prior judgement and to think that Zsadist is already scared of what Nalla's going to think of him is heartbreaking. 

As always I love the little tidbits we get about the "other" brothers in each story.  It's nice to get little flashes of their lives even when the book is not solely based on them.  One of the things I really enjoyed about this book is part of the ending.  I loved the scenes with the new doctor and what Zsadist endures for his daughter. 

Father Mine was a really short read that somehow still packed in action (of both kinds *blushes*), romance, and lots of love.  J.R. Ward creates these characters that you can't help but become attached to and it was nice seeing a little bit more of Zsadist. 

1 comment:

  1. You're not alone. I struggled with the last few books in the series too, but I did love Father Mine. Maybe because I love Z so much and any little story with him in it makes me go crazy. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.