Thursday, May 24, 2012

Review of Spell Bound by Rachel Hawkins

Title: Spell Bound (Hex Hall #3)
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Published by: Hyperion Book CH         
Pages: 327
Source: Library
Format: Hardcover
Rating: 3.5 stars

Summary from Goodreads: Just as Sophie Mercer has come to accept her extraordinary magical powers as a demon, the Prodigium Council strips them away. Now Sophie is defenseless, alone, and at the mercy of her sworn enemies—the Brannicks, a family of warrior women who hunt down the Prodigium. Or at least that’s what Sophie thinks, until she makes a surprising discovery. The Brannicks know an epic war is coming, and they believe Sophie is the only one powerful enough to stop the world from ending. But without her magic, Sophie isn’t as confident.

Sophie’s bound for one hell of a ride—can she get her powers back before it’s too late?

Witches, Demons, and Vampires...oh my. That's what you get in a Rachel Hawkins’ novel along with a myriad of other supernatural creatures. One of the things I liked most about this book is that it doesn't involve only one type of supernatural creature. It involves them all.  What’s better than a war involving witches, demons, shapeshifters, fae, etc. all battling it out?

Spell Bound started off right where Demonglass, the second book in the series, ended. In fact, if you don't remember much from Demonglass I suggest you reread it because I was confused for the first couple of pages until I started to remember everything. Sophie is a main character you won’t soon forget.  The best thing about Sophie is that it doesn't matter what type of situation she is in she always has snark and will have you laughing. She is a very relatable character in that even when she is thrust into battle she is still scared and crying. Often times we have these stone faced, unemotional lead characters that are fierce and lethal. Sophie is definitely lethal but she also has a hard time grasping death and difficult situations.  I love that about Sophie.

This book has lots of action and the plot changes and twists a little more with each passing page. You never quite knew what was going to happen next and therefore it was a very gripping read. I enjoyed this novel even though I had a little problem with the ending. I know it had to end and I understand we can't always have these picture perfect endings, but I feel like one character in general definitely got the short straw. I don't want to give anything away and so I won't say anything more than I wouldn't have chosen the book to end the way it did.

After reading Spell Bound I feel a bit sad that the trilogy came to an end, but also satisfied.   

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you enjoyed this one. Yet another series that's been on my TBR pile for far too long. Thanks for the warning about starting with the first book. I have the bad habit of reading books out of order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't seem to get these moved to the top of my TBR pile, even after reading really stellar reviews of all of them. Thanks for the push! I'll try harder....

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.