Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Review of All-American Girl by Meg Cabot

Title:  All-American Girl
Author:  Meg Cabot
Published by:
Pages:
Source:  Audiobook from library
Rating 3.5/5 Stars

From GoodreadsSamantha Madison is an average, cool Washington, D.C., teen: She loves Gwen Stefani (who doesn't?), can draw like nobody's business, and enjoys being opposite to her sister's annoying ultra-social personality. When she ditches art class one day, however, she doesn't expect to be jumping on the back of a wannabe presidential assassin. Soon, the young hero is receiving worldwide acclaim for her bravery, having dinner with her family at the White House, and is even being named teen ambassador to the UN. As if this weren't enough, she and David, the president's son, strike up a friendship that everyone wants the dirt on, which starts to give her romantic "frisson" feelings. Unfortunately, Sam thinks her sister's boyfriend, Jack, is the true love of her life, and she makes a few wrong turns that could screw up what she's developing with David. Will she ever stop following what she knows and start following what she sees.

This is a really light, sassy read.  Sam is a spunky main character who is not afraid to stand up for what she believes in (even to the President of the United States).  This girls has some serious guts, but is having some trouble managing her own life. 

After saving the president and becoming a national hero everything start to go downhill for Sam.  She starts to realize that things she though she knew and felt, she didn't really understand.  I really liked Sam's character though at times I thought she was whiny and very naive.  She thought she was in love with her sister's boyfriend and worshiped the ground he walked on, but not is all it seems with Jack.  Sam doesn't always handle her situations the right way, but she's learning.

 I loved the president's son, David, in this novel.  He is a great character who was wise beyond his years.  I felt like he was caring and really true to who he was and his beliefs.  He saw things that others didn't and he's kinda of a rebel in his own way.

 Another thing I really enjoyed about this novel was Sam's top ten lists.  They had me laughing-out-loud and often thinking of things I'd want to add or even make up my own top ten list.

Overall this was a fun read that I would recommend to younger teens. 

1 comment:

  1. Fun review. I haven't read any of Meg Cabot's books but I keep hearing I need to. I'll have to pick this one up sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.