Thursday, November 3, 2011

Review of Forgotten by Cat Patrick

Title: Forgotten
Author: Cat Patrick
Published by: Listening Library
Discs: 7 discs
Source: Library
Format: Audiobook
Rating: ★★★★

Summary from Goodreads:  Each night when 16 year-old London Lane goes to sleep, her whole world disappears. In the morning, all that's left is a note telling her about a day she can't remember. The whole scenario doesn't exactly make high school or dating that hot guy whose name she can't seem to recall any easier. But when London starts experiencing disturbing visions she can't make sense of, she realizes it's time to learn a little more about the past she keeps forgetting-before it destroys her future.

Can you imagine waking up in the morning and forgetting everything about your past?  Imagine meeting the hottest guy and not only forgetting his name, but forgetting you ever met him.  London goes through this everyday and the only way she gets by is through the notes she writes to herself telling what had previously happened and things to "remember" for the day to come.

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel.  It was very original and while it was a contemporary novel, there was still that mysterious aspect of why this is happening to London and where these haunting visions are coming from.  I loved the mystery surrounding London's condition and getting to discover what her visions are telling her.  The narrator did a wonderful job with the story.  She gave London the perfect 'voice' and conveyed all her emotions so the listener really felt like they were talking to London.    

I enjoyed London as a character and I'm glad she was so accepting of her condition.  Granted this book was set many years after her memory loss started, but I felt like she adjusted to her condition and learned to live with it.  I did tend to find her whiny at times but I'm noticing that I'm finding many teenage characters whiny.  I think this may be a sign that I'm getting old.  *Gasps*

I think Luke is amazing.  He is such a great guy, who is spontaneous and completely unique.  He is so sweet to London and they do make a great couple.  Girls, trust me you are going to swoon with the originality of his date ideas.  So darn romantic!

If you are looking for something fun and fresh to read, try Forgotten...it's unforgetable (ok that was a bad pun, but I still can't stop laughing).   

7 comments:

  1. I read Forgotten this summer at camp, and it was awesome! I'm glad you liked it too, it was unforgettable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book and I def. need the hardback cover of this one. I loved London and indeed it was unforgetable. ;) lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds fascinating. I would not like to wake up and not know who the people around me are- or what has happend! Scary! The summary reminds me of a YA version of Momento- although I only saw the movie.

    I found you through Book Blogs and signed up to follow you. When you have a chance- please stop by and follow the blog for my middle grade novel that I am hoping to get published. http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    Take care-
    Jess- although I may show up as Fairday, the main character from my novel. I can't figure out why that happens and I can't fix it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read a book similar to this a while back...it was called 'Solider in the Mist' but it was about this solider dude who had to do the same thing. COMPLETELY different time period and story. But sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I'm glad you enjoyed this one as much as I did. I'm a huge Luke fangirl. I love that his thing was ears. And he was really romantic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adored this book, found London just as whiney and loved Luke! His first date blew my mind, wish I'd found a guy like him in HS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The idea for Forgotten was a really unique one that intrigued me. Ms. Patrick wrote it well, and had me from page 1 and sucked in all the way until the end.

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.