Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday

Today I'm participating in Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
Top Ten Books I Had VERY Strong Emotions About (cry, laugh, hurl across the room, etc.)
 
First I must make a confession....I'm a crier.  It is my emotion and I fully claim it.  I cry when I'm sad, frustrated, upset and feeling blue.  However, I also cry when I'm excited and when I'm bursting with happiness.  Hence the reason I say crying is my emotion.  I'm not one of those crazy criers where I wail and throw a fit; I'm more the type where my eyes sparkle with tears and then overflow...unless it is a really emotional book/movie/topic and then I bawl.  The breath gasping, nose running, the world is ending bawl.  Ok so now you have the disclaimer...
 
Fury (The Fury Trilogy #1)1.  Fury by Elizabeth Miles.  The people in this book were so upsetting.  They were selfish, cruel, and unbelievable arrogant.  As much as I disliked them, I dislike the Furies even more.  Their ultimate power trip was self righteous and downright annoying.  I don't deal well with people who think they have ultimate authority and that they can control every situation.  It drives me mad.     
 
2. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.  This was a hard book for me emotionally.  I wasn't sure who to blame and if blame was even needed.  It's a powerful book and I really enjoyed it, but it definitely wasn't a light read. 
 
3. If I Stay by Gail Forman.  I bawled through this entire book.  I had to stop multiple times because I could no longer see the pages.  It was so thought provoking and Gail Forman wrote it in such a way that you couldn't help but get in Mia's head and experience all her emotions with her. 
 
Anna and the French Kiss4. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins.  I think I literally smiled through this entire book.  It made me happy and giddy and bubbly inside.  It was cute, sweet and one of those books you just love.
 
5. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson.  I listened to this book on my ipod and there was a particular part in this novel where I was literally yelling out loud at a character.  I was so upset that I was shouting and I must have looked completely crazed but that character deserved it. 
 
6. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.  I also listened to this book on my ipod and again there was a particular scene that upset me so much that again I was yelling at the characters in the novel.  This one scene and the main character's actions mad me so mad that I never really liked the main character after that...in fact I hated him a little. 
 
7. Any Melina Marchetta book.  I am very protective of these books.  They are some of my favorites and I just want everyone to love them as much as I do.  I respect that everyone has a different opinion on books, but I just can't see how people cannot love them.  They're freakin fabulous. 
 
8.  Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson.  To take away a girl's voice and make Melinda feel the way she did is completely unacceptable.  While this is a powerful novel, it was not a light read. 
 
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle9. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski.  I really enjoyed this book until a certain scene came about.  I really can't handle cruelty and this book really got to me.  I had to set it down for a while and come back to it.  It is a really great story but parts of it were too emotional for me to handle. 
 
10. Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott.  I'm listening to this book right now and it is one of the hardest things I've ever listened to.  There are times when I can only get through 2 minutes and I have to take a break.  It is so emotional, and at times I don't even know what to think.  I find myself being appalled at all the characters and then chiding myself because I'm not in Alice's situation and I'd have no idea what I would do to get out of it. 

9 comments:

  1. Anna and the French Kiss is on m list this week, too. And even though they didn't make my list, I agree with you about Thirteen Reasons Why, If I Stay and Speak. All amazing, powerful books that definitely affected me emotionally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember crying during The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo...though there definitely were some tough moments in that Trilogy. I've also seen the movies...it'll be interesting to see the Hollywood version this Dec.

    Edgar Sawtelle is one of my favorite books of all time. That book touched me so deeply in so many ways that I can't even explain it to people. God I love that book.

    More recently...The Book Thief had me bawling in my car on lunch!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta agree with Anna and the French Kiss. It was amazing!! I do believe Lola and Boy Next Door made me smile just a little bit more:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww. I feel ya. I'm a cryer too. =) I cry I'm angry, upset, sad, super duper excited, and yadda yadda. Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi!
    I had kind of the same feelings about The girl with the dragon tattoo. I love this book! :)

    About Speak. I haven't read the book yet, but I totally loved the movie. Kristen plays it amazingly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna definitely makes you smile. Any of Elizabeth Scott's books are hard to make through because of the emotions. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh, was it Bjurman that you were screaming at by any chance? I have never felt so much hate for an antagonist before reading that! Just thinking about it is making my stomach tense up! Grrrr!!!

    I've never listened to an audio book. Do you find that it makes it more emotional?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Toni d.--I think if the narrator of the audiobook is good, it is a much more emotional experience because instead of reading the words you are hearing the character's "voice" and all the emotions packed in there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Any Melina Marchetta book."

    YES! Lisa, I feel the same. I want everyone to love them as much as I do.

    I appreciate how you included a wide selection of books. Smiles are just as emotional as tears!

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.