Saturday, January 22, 2011

Review of The Crepe Makers' Bond by Julie Crabtree

Book:  The Crepe Makers' Bond
Author:  Julie Crabtree
Published by:  Milkweed Editions
Pages:  288
Available:  April 5th, 2011
Source:  NetGalley/from Publisher


From GoodreadsAriel is the head chef in her family kitchen. Cucumber salads, fettuccine carbonara, fish tacos, and peanut butter pie are just a few of the dishes she crafts when she’s feeling frustrated by the world. And it’s turning into a frustrating year. Ariel, Nicki, and Mattie have been inseparable friends since they were little kids, but now Mattie’s mom has decided to move away. It’s the girls’ last year in middle school, and they can’t fathom being separated. The friends concoct a plan that will keep Mattie in the Bay area — she’ll move in with Ariel and her family. But before you can say "bff," the party is over. Everything Mattie does gets on Ariel’s nerves, and it’s not long before the girls are avoiding each other. This was supposed to be their best year ever, but some painful lessons are threatening to tear their friendship apart. Can the girls scramble to make things right before the bond crumbles?

I really like the idea of a book combining a story and recipes.  I love when I read a book and it talks about a certain food and that author will also provide the recipe in the book.  I almost love cooking as much as I love reading...don't worry I said almost as much.  This time though it felt it was a little forced.  I felt like the author purposely had to mention a certain food just so she could feature the recipe at the end of the chapter.  

This book is written about a group a girls that are in eighth grade.  I don't know too many girls in eighth grade who love to cook.  I know a couple and I think this book will really reach out to them but to others I don't think they will get much out of the recipes provided.  

As for the storyline itself I think that many girls think it would be amazing to have their best friend move in with them or to move in with their best friend's family.  This isn't always the case and it's really hard to explain that to young girls.  This book is really about change and how people deal with it.  I'ts a good lesson learning novel.  
     
I really enjoyed Ariel's character.  I felt she was a typical eighth grade girl who was self-conscious of her looks, had to study hard in school, had a great loving family, and just wanted to hang out with her best friends.  She shows great emotion in the book, whether it's being worried about one of her friends or angry at something someone did.  I did however feel that the characters of Ariel's two friends were really under developed.  I didn't really get to know much about them and I found myself having a really hard time connecting to either of them. 

Overall this book was ok and I'd give it ★★ and 1/2.   

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't heard of this book before, so thanks !!
    I hope you're enjoying Nightshade !! I loved it personally !! =)

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.