Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Review of Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Book:  Unearthly
Author: Cynthia Hand
Published By: HarperTeen
Pages: 488
Published:  January 4th, 2011

From GoodreadsClara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what it is, though, isn't easy.  Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place--and out of place, at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.  As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make--between honesty and deciet, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

Cynthia Hand did a great job at creating a new kind of Angel story.  Hand's writing brought this novel to life for me.  She did a great job with not only the paranormal aspect of the story, but also the everyday 'normal' teenage life as well.  One thing I love about this story is that the main character, Clara, knows what she is.  Often in paranormal novels, the main character doesn't have any idea that they/or the person they are crushing on is a paranormal being.  Well, Clara knows she's a 1/4 Angel and she has a purpose she needs to complete.

One of the best things about this book is the love triangle between the mysterious Christian from Clara's vision, Tucker, Clara's friend's brother, and Clara herself.  Just when you think that Christian is the perfect guy, along comes Tucker to sweep you off your feet!   

Hand's characters were the best part of this story.  Clara is this pretty girl who is down to earth and very likeable.  She's very conflicted just as you'd expect a teenager in her position to be.  Christian is charming and seems perfect in everyway.  He comes across as the great athlete, good student and all around nice guys.  Then there is Tucker, who at first seems a little cocky, but then you can't help but fall in love with.

Hand also gives us some great supporting characters such as Maggie, Clara's mother who is half angel and is keeping secrets from Clara, Angela, and Jeffrey.  Angela and Wendy, two eccentric friends of Clara's and Clara's younger brother Jeffrey, who I think is going to be very interesting in the following novels.  


Finally, I want to gush about this cover.  What a GORGEOUS dress! .  


Overall I'd give this book:  ★★★★

5 comments:

  1. The cover is gorgeous! You're right, I also liked that she knew she was part angel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to reading this! I'm loving the characters that you described! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm getting ready to start this one today. I keep hearing so many great things about it! Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first heard about this story, I was like "oh no, another angel story", but I'm hearing good things about it and you gave a very good sense of the story. It sounds great. You've convinced me. I'm adding it to my TBR list and I'm following your blog...I rather like it here...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very well thought out and informative review.

    I totally enjoyed this book too. In fact I liked it so much I started a "Readers Circle" post where bloggers can discuss, ask questions and rave about the book - including spoilers - !! So, come on over and see if you have an opinion on the questions I've posted. Or better yet, do you have any of your own.

    Here's the link: http://thecallawayfam.blogspot.com/2011/02/readers-circle-unearthly-contains.html

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.