Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Review of The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg

Book:  The Lonely Hearts Club
Author:  Elizabeth Eulberg
Publisher:  Point
Pages:  290

From GoodreadsPenny is sick of boys and sick of dating. So she vows - no more. It's a personal choice...and, of course, soon everyone wants to know about it. And a few other girls are inspired. A movement is born; The Lonely Hearts Club (named after the band from Sgt. Pepper). Penny is suddenly known for her nondating ways...which is too bad, because there's this certain boy she can't help but like...

First of all I want to thank whomever gave me this book.  I received it in the mail with no notification so if it was from a contest I'd love to give that blogger a shout-out but I'm unsure of who you are...but I truly want to say Thank You!  

So on the back cover there is a blurb from Jen Calonita, the author of Secrets of My Hollywood Life that says "Why oh why weren't Penny Lane Bloom and her Lonely Hearts Club around when I was in high school?..."  I must agree with her.  What a great group of girls.  They are so supportive and caring that I think every girl in high school needs these kind of girls as her friends.  

I love the idea of this book and I think it was executed wonderfully.  These girls realized they have been treated badly by guys and it's not always just the guys fault.  Often times the girls were changing who they were and what they liked just to please a guy.  They realized if they bond together and really start caring about who they are, they will like themselves and each other so much more.  

I think this is a great novel about 'girl power' done in a classy and not cheesy way.  

I also have to give a shout out to The Beatles who played a big part in this book and to Elizabeth Eulberg who is orginally from Wisconsin...woo hoo to Wisconsin authors!

Overall I'd give this book ★★★★ and 1/2. 

5 comments:

  1. You know, I wasn't too fond of this book when I read it last year. I liked it well enough but it didn't thrill me. After adoring Prom and Prejudice, I think I might have been harsh on this. It really was pretty good for a breezy light-hearted chick lit novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the Beatles, so this one has my interest right away! This sounds like such a bright and fun read! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this books so much that the story keeps playing on my mind! And the cover is very "Beatles" XD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to read both of Elizabeth Eulberg's novels. They both sound very fun!

    And I must agree... yay for Wisconsin authors!

    Jane
    janestoryblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds pretty good .. ;) Thanks for the review Lisa !!

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.