Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Review of Infinity (Chronicles of Nick #1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Book:  Infinity (Chronicles of Nick #1)
Author:  Sherrilyn Kenyon
Published by:  St. Martin's Griffin
Pages:  464

From GoodreadsAt fourteen, Nick Gautier thinks he knows everything about the world around him. Streetwise, tough and savvy, his quick sarcasm is the stuff of legends. . .until the night when his best friends try to kill him. Saved by a mysterious warrior who has more fighting skills than Chuck Norris, Nick is sucked into the realm of the Dark-Hunters: immortal vampire slayers who risk everything to save humanity. Nick quickly learns that the human world is only a veil for a much larger and more dangerous one: a world where the captain of the football team is a werewolf and the girl he has a crush on goes out at night to stake the undead. But before he can even learn the rules of this new world, his fellow students are turning into flesh eating zombies. And he’s next on the menu.

This was a very interesting read.  I haven't heard much about this book so I wasn't sure what to expect.  There were a lot of different kinds of paranormal creatures in this book that I had a hard time understanding what each person was.  This was one of the first books I've read that had Zombies in it.  I'm not sure how I feel about Zombies.  I like most paranormal creatures because I feel they can have this sexy kind of aura about them, but Zombies I don't really see as sexy. 

I wish that Kenyon would have developed the characters more.  I felt that I learned a lot about Nick, but no one else.  As for Nick I loved him as a character.  He was so witty that his side comments had me laughing through the entire novel.  I loved that he wasn't rich and had everything he wanted like some main characters.  He was down-to-earth and not only book smart, but also street smart. 

One of the things that I though Kenyon did really well was the bullying at the beginning of the novel.  I had a really hard time reading this because it felt so real.  I felt the raw pain of the comments as if they were directed at me.  I was crying, shouting, and cheering all within the first chapter of the book.

Overall I'd give this book ★★★ and 1/2. 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by. I haven't heard of this book but it sounds pretty interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when books feel real, even the hard stuff. It's great when the author can pull you in like that.

    Thanks for the review! I've been wanting to read this book for a little while now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reviewed this book too and it does seem to be flying under the radar; probably because Kenyon writes for the adult market and this is her first YA book. I'm not a zombie fan for the reasons you mentioned: they're not sexy and rather disgusting...lol...but I did get plenty of laughs with the ones in this book. I picked the sequel as my WoW last week. It's called Invincible and I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for your visit today. I'm on my way to read your review of Unearthly...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right...zombies just don't equal sexy. But this book still sounds very interesting. I love anything with a vampire element :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.