Monday, August 29, 2011

Review of Torment by Lauren Kate

Title: Torment (Fallen #2)
Author: Lauren Kate
Published by: Random House Children's Books
Pages: 452
Source: Won in a Contest
Format: Hardcover
Rating: ★★★ & 1/2

Summary from Goodreads: Hell on earth. That’s what it’s like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel.It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts—immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students: Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans. At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn’t told her everything. He’s hiding something—something dangerous.What if Daniel’s version of the past isn’t actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else?

How freaking gorgeous is this cover?!?!  I have to admit I think this is the most amazing cover I've seen in a while.  It's simply breathtaking.  I could probably gush about this cover for the whole review but I'll try and control myself. 

So I was a little crest fallen after reading Fallen (no pun intended).  In felt there were plot gaps and I never really understood what was happening.  Things get better in Torment and we do learn a little bit more but I'm still a bit confused.  I feel as if I'm not getting the whole story and, therefore, it doesn't make sense to me and I can't follow along. 

I really like that Luce stands up for herself a little more in this novel.  She starts questioning what people are telling her and doesn't have the blind acceptance anymore.  She's gaining more confidence and starts demanding answers.  I think this is great character development seeing her grow and mature from who she was in Fallen.  Some of our favorite characters return to us and we also get to meet some amazing new characters too.

If you’re up for a mystery or just a stunning cover for your coffee table this is a great series for you.   

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I love the covers for this series, though I haven't read it yet. I'm not much for angel stories, but Luce seems like a very interesting character in terms of her growth and development.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this series. It's been on my tbr list! I've heard great things about this series!

    Tia @ Falling For Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read the fist book and I really liked it. I'm thinking about getting the sequal, this one, very soon. I really want to know more about these characters, too bad that it's a bit confusing. I hate that and I want some answers. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.