What are Waterfall Wednesdays you ask? Each Wednesday for the month of September we will be reading, discussing, chatting, and gawking over the Hotties from Waterfall the amazing first novel in the River of Time series by Lisa Bergren. Come join in the fun.
Here is the schedule of events:
August 31- Chapters 1-6 Hosted by Tina at Tinasbookreviews
Sept 7- Chapters 7-11 Hosted by Missie at The Unread Reader
Sept 14- Chapters 12-17 Hosted by Joy&Serena at Edgy Inspirational Romance
Sept 21- Chapters 18-23 Hosted by Jenny at Supernatural Snark
Sept 28- Chapters 24-28 and Wrap Up Hosted by Nic at Irresistible Reads
Need more incentive? The amazingly talented and wonderful Lisa Bergren has offered a trilogy set of her series to one winner each week (signed if the winner is from the U.S.) and an overall chance to win a set of earrings from Venice. How freaking amazing is that? I told you she was wonderful.
So on to this week's discussion...
Discussion Questions for Chapters 1-6
1. Waterfall opens with the introduction of Gabi, shes depressed, a little angry and is dealing with feelings of loneliness. Are you connecting with her this soon in the novel? Do you see things you like or dislike?
I didn't connect with Gabi in the first couple of chapters. I thought she was a little whiny and defiant. She has these amazingly good looking and strong men trying to protect her and yet she tries to do things her own way. I feel like she is an extremely strong character despite her flaws. She protects herself and others even when things get dangerous. I also like how devoted she is to her sister. It shows that she is caring and kind underneath her bravado.
2. Gabi gets to time travel back to 14th Century Italy- The Dark Ages in its prime. Is there anytime in history that fascinates you and would you travel back if you could? I would love to travel back to Tudor England. At this time the court was so scandalous and deceitful that I think it would be like living in a soap opera. My life would never be boring and I would get to wear gorgeous dresses and crazy expensive jewelry.
3. Most of the men, including Marcello have a very set opinion about a woman's place. Gabi gets manhandled a bit in these first few chapters, and even gets asked if shes a witch. The men are shocked when Gabi rides a horse like a man and shimmies down the castle walls. What do you think of mens mentality back then? Gentlemanly, chauvinistic, simple-minded? I think men of this time knew how to treat a lady properly. They cherished women and while I do believe they were chauvinistic I think it was more out of their need to protect a woman than it was to be condescending. I think it's amazing when men open doors, hold umbrellas and treat a women with respect. That aspects often get lost in current times because women often feel the need to be independent. It's a hard line to walk for women and men. Women want men to treat them right, but mostly they want to be respected and treated as equals (along with a healthy dose of pampering once in a while).
4. When Gabi becomes a part of this era, the people are immediately intrigued but suspicious of her. Many judge her by her difference. Do you think this is fair? Have you ever been in a situation where you felt like an outsider or that others were misjudging you? While I don't think it is fair to judge others on their differences, I also think you have to be smart about who you are dealing with. The Forelli's opened their home to Gabi, who was a complete stranger. I would never allow a stranger to come and live with me and if I did I would be cautious much like the Forelli's were. I also understand this situation must have been scary and confusing for Gabi as well. She is just trying to find her way home and people are constantly critiquing her clothes, expressions and motives. This must have been very difficult for her and the judgment probably didn't ease her transition at all. When I went to college I didn't know anyone at the college, much less anyone in the city. I felt that everyone else had friends already and I was the only person who didn't know a single person. I felt very alone and lost until I met some other people who soon became the most amazing friends in the world. I definitely had a couple of rough days but they were worth it in the end.
5. What do think the coolest thing would be about living in the Dark Ages? What would be the worst? I think the coolest thing would be incredibly sexy men, with very big ....um swords...protecting me. I am a very independent person but nothing is hotter than a man defending my honor and willing to fight for me. SWOON!
I think the worst thing would have to be no indoor plumbing. Yuck!