Saturday, September 10, 2011

Review of Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Title: Delirium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Published by: HarperTeen
Pages: 441
Source: Bought
Format: Hardcover
Rating: ★★★★

Summary from Goodreads: Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the governments demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy. But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

So I must admit Delirium started out very slow for me, but let it tell you it ended with a BANG!  Wow, the last half of the book I just flew through. I was completely taken by it's heart breaking reality and emotional rollarcoasterness.

Starting off I wasn't a fan a Lena.  She was a little straight-laced and predictable for me.  I'm more interested in the type of characters who are rebels and stir things up a bit, so I was instantly drawn to Hannah, Lena's best friend, at first.  As the story progressed though, I came to love Lena in my own way.  It took awhile for me to get to know her but once I understood her she found her way into my heart.

Alex was the perfect distraction for Lena.  She had so much pressure riding on her and she just needed to let loose and have a little fun before all the life (and love) was sucked out of her.  Only Lena's fun turned into something more.  In my book, any man who can make you feel beautiful when everyone else makes you feel plain is the star of your show...go out and live it up!

I personally loved (no pun intended...ok maybe a little) the idea of this book.  Love can make you feel so glorious but it can also hurt you badly.  It is one of those difficult questions...does the good out-weigh the bad?  When it comes to love I say HELL YEA!  But apparently the government didn't agree with me in Delirium.  Well screw them...I'm about to become an Invalid! 

Don't miss this love story where love is forbidden and Romeo and Juliet is no longer the greatest romance of all time...it's a cautionary tale.

4 comments:

  1. It's not one I would have chosen but having read your review I probably will give it a go.
    Barbara
    http://www.marchhousebooks.com/
    PS found you on Book Blogs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE this book! I'm so excited for Pandemonium, it can't come fast enough!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to read this one, I feel like I'm the last person in the world to read it, ha. It looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the review! Alex is sooo wonderful! I can't wait for the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.