Friday, September 30, 2011

Review of Matched by Ally Condie

Title: Matched
Author: Ally Condie
Published by: Dutton Juvenile
Pages: 384
Source: Borrowed from Library
Format: Audiobook
Rating: ★★★


Summary from Goodreads: Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.

I was intrigued when I first heard about this book.  What could be better than a statistical program telling you who would make you the most happy and be the perfect mate?  I guess that is the worst thing and the best thing.  I'd love for someone to tell me right now who my husband will be and that he'll make me perfectly happy my entire life, but at the same time I'd be very resentful because I didn't get any say in the matter...well unless it was Eric Northman then no complaints here!

Cassia started out being the perfect daughter, friend, and citizen until she saw two faces on her ideal match screen.  Things started to go a little haywire then and she started questioning everything.  At first I wasn't a huge fan of Cassia.  I tend to like people who rebel and stir up a little trouble and she just seemed so complacent (aka boring, she really needed to liven up a little).  Soon though as she gets to know Ky better she starts to realize The Society is not there to help everyone out and make them happy they are there to control everything. 

Let me tell you if I was part of this Society I would get kicked out so fast and become an aberration because I really don't like people trying to control my actions and my life.  It scares me and angers me when people think they can have absolutely control over another human being.  Plus they control what they eat.  I would definitely have some words with The Society if they tried to take away my popcorn or chocolate.  I'd go all kung-fu ninja on their butts.  

As for Ky and Xander, each boy has their own qualities both good and bad.  I don't really have a team picked out yet and I think that is because I didn't really connect with either of them.  Maybe some mysterious hottie will show up in the next novel?  Well, a girl can wish right! 

Overall, I enjoyed the book and look forward to reading Crossed

4 comments:

  1. ...this sounds like a great book! I agree with you that I would get kicked out of this Society. I can barely tolerate having my parents or bosses tell me what to do. I like books like these...they make you appreciate the world we live in. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this one, but like you, was so frustrated by the way the Society treated its Citizens, I'm not sure I could have swallowed their rules and been the perfect little drone:) Unless of course it was Eric Northman I was Matched with. Then I might come around ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Lisa, I'd react the same way. No one is gonna tell me that I can't eat gallons of Red Velvet Ice cream anymore. How could you not have fallen for Ky? His story was so sad, cast out as an aberration before he ever even had a chance. :(

    Actually, it's good that you don't have a team... that just means more for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like to be told what to do either. This society sounds like a piece of work. I'm on the waitlist for this book at my library. I hope i get it soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.