Thursday, September 1, 2011

Review of A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan

Title:  A Long, Long Sleep
Author:  Anna Sheehan
Published by:  Gollancz
Pages:  320
Source:  Publisher/NetGalley
Available:  September 15th, 2011

From GoodreadsRosalinda Fitzroy has been asleep for 62 years when she is woken by a kiss. Locked away in the chemically-induced slumber of a stasis tube in a forgotten sub-basement, sixteen-year-old Rose slept straight through the Dark Times that killed millions and utterly changed the world she knew. Now, her parents and her first love are long dead, and Rose - hailed upon her awakening as the long-lost heir to an interplanetary empire - is thrust alone into a future in which she is viewed as either a freak or a threat. Desperate to put the past behind her and adapt to her new world, Rose finds herself drawn to the boy who kissed her awake, hoping that he can help her to start fresh. But when a deadly danger jeopardizes her fragile new existence, Rose must face the ghosts of her past with open eyes - or be left without any future at all.

Rose finds herself in a whole new world after being awoke from a very long chemically aided sleep.  In fact, she was asleep for 62 years and everyone she knew in her life was now dead.  Everything has changed, she doesn't understand the language, the 'computers', or what happened while she was asleep.  Now she has to adapt to her new environment, but finds she's having trouble and not just with her school work.

When I first started this novel I was a little confused about what was going on, but regardless I was sucked right in to the story.  Rose is a character so naive and heartfelt you can't help but love her.  At times her naivety is frustrating and you just want to shake her, but ultimately you want to protect her.  

This novel is so much more than a science fiction story.  It explores love, change, prejudices, parent-child relationships and escaping mechanisms.  It's got love, action, betrayal and everything else you want from a great story.  

I loved the end of this novel.  It wrapped up the main conflict really well, yet gave us some new information to lead us into the next novel (hopefully there will be a next novel).  

This is definitely one of my favorite reads this year!  I'd give this novel  ★★★★★

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good book. I will definitely pick it up soon. Great review!


    Tia @ Falling For Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave this book 5 stars too! :)

    New follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if it's even possible and I'm not even sure but I think I saw this one with another cover. Maybe it was the UK cover of it. I like that one better. Anyway, this book sounds really great. 62 years is a long time, so the character must be indeed very confused. It also sounds sad. I mean everybody she knew is dead. :( Great review.

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.