Monday, September 5, 2011

Review of Uncommon Criminal by Ally Carter

Title: Uncommon Criminals (Heist Society #2)
Author: Ally Carter
Published by: Hyperion Book CH
Pages: 298
Source: Library
Format: Audiobook
Rating: ★★★★

Summary from Goodreads: Katarina Bishop has worn a lot of labels in her short life life. Friend. Niece. Daughter. Thief. But for the last two months she’s simply been known as the girl who ran the crew that robbed the greatest museum in the world. That’s why Kat isn’t surprised when she’s asked to steal the infamous Cleopatra Emerald so it can be returned to its rightful owners. There are only three problems. First, the gem hasn’t been seen in public in thirty years. Second, since the fall of the Egyptian empire and the suicide of Cleopatra, no one who holds the emerald keeps it for long, and in Kat’s world, history almost always repeats itself. But it’s the third problem that makes Kat’s crew the most nervous and that is simply… the emerald is cursed. Kat might be in way over her head, but she’s not going down without a fight. After all she has her best friend—the gorgeous Hale—and the rest of her crew with her as they chase the Cleopatra around the globe, dodging curses, realizing that the same tricks and cons her family has used for centuries are useless this time. Which means, this time, Katarina Bishop is making up her own rules.

I have become a huge Ally Carter fan over the last year.  Between her Gallegher Girls series and her Heist Society series there is mystery, romance, and action for type of every reader. 

Uncommon Criminals has all the cunning thievery and adventure of Heist Society but with more twist and turns.  I was never quite sure how Kat was going to pull off stealing Cleopatra's Emerald and all the other difficulties that arose once she stole it.  It was a guessing game for the reader which was fun and made this novel a fast read.   

At the beginning of the novel I was a little confused because things seemed to fall into place too easily for Kat, Hale, and Gabrielle.  I was actually a little disappointed in the lack of skillful and careful planning and execution in the task.  Soon that all changed as the curse of Cleopatra's Emerald took over.  Then it was a wild ride that left you gasping and wondering what would happen next.

Never fear for all of you Hale fans...he's back and cuter than ever.  I do hope we find out what the W.W. stand for in W.W. Hale someday.  Any guesses?  

I also have to mention how much I love that Cleopatra's Emerald is featured on the cover.  I didn't see it at first, but when I did I instantly loved it.  Who wouldn't want a rock like that?  

4 comments:

  1. There WERE tons of twists and turns. I really liked that, too. I hope we get to figure out his initials...maybe Winchester Willy.....haha! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't read the first book, but I'm planning to buy these two books asap! Glad to find out that the sequal is as good as the first one. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sooo need to read this book! I read Heist Society and I loved it. Glad to hear that this one is good too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! That was my complaint too. It just didn't seem like this heist was as brilliantly executed as in the first book. But I love these characters, esp. HALE!

    Must of been fun to listen to this book on audio. Can't wait to find out what the W.W. stand for. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.