Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Review of Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side by Beth Fantaskey

Title: Jessica's Guide Dating on the Dark Side
Author: Beth Fantaskey
Published by: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt             
Pages: 351
Source: Obtained free (on December 30, 2011) from Amazon
Format: ebook
Rating: 3.5 stars

Summary from Goodreads: The undead can really screw up your senior year . . .

Marrying a vampire definitely doesn't fit into Jessica Packwood's senior year "get-a-life" plan. But then a bizarre (and incredibly hot) new exchange student named Lucius Vladescu shows up, claiming that Jessica is a Romanian vampire princess by birth--and he's her long-lost fiancé. Armed with newfound confidence and a copy of Growing Up Undead: A Teen Vampire's Guide to Dating, Health, and Emotions, Jessica makes a dramatic transition from average American teenager to glam European vampire princess.


But when a devious cheerleader sets her sights on Lucius, Jess finds herself fighting to win back her wayward prince, stop a global vampire war--and save Lucius's soul from eternal destruction.

What would be your reaction if you find out not only that someone else is a vampire but you are too? 

It seems lately in YA literature that characters just accept the paranormal like we do colored hair, tattoos or piercings.  It is not a shock to them, more they expect it and accept it.  I find this a little unbelievable (in YA lit...not the colored hair, tattoos and piercings which I all like).  If someone told me they were a vampire I would think they were crazy.  This was my favorite thing about Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side.  It takes Jessica a long time and a lot of proof--given multiple times--for her to actually believe that Lucius is a vampire and that she is too.  I think that proves how down to earth and real Jessica is. 

At first Lucius is kind of a jerk and very pretentious.  The one thing I did love about him is that he had a great appreciation for the generously proportioned female form.  He kept telling Jessica that she was beautiful and not overweight.  I loved the way he seemed mesmerized by her curves.  He was a true gentleman in that way.  I think it also showed his true nature when he tried to blend into society for her.  He tried to change himself so the shock and surprise would be easier on her, even though it was harder on him.  That goes a long way in my book! 

The story itself was good, but I was hoping for a little more action, both physical and romantically.  While I do enjoy reading about the situations of everyday life (well at least everyday that involves a vampire) I wish there would have been more nail biting, sitting on the edge of your chair, scenes.  I also felt the ending was a little rushed.  They rest of the book took it's time getting to each point in the novel but the end felt too fast to me.

Overall I enjoyed this novel and I can't wait to see what is in store for Jessica and Lucius in the next novel.   

2 comments:

  1. I liked this one too, I loved the letters Lucius wrote home to his Uncle, I thought they were the best part of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, my heart just melted over Lucius! That he would be so willing to be 'uncomfortable' just to help Jessica adapt does say a lot. And who doesn't appreciate a man who appreciates curves. *le swoon*

    I actually have this book sitting on my bookshelf. I have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.