Thursday, June 14, 2012

Review of Virals by Kathy Reichs

Title: Virals
Author: Kathy Reichs
Narrator: Cristin Milioti
Published by: Penguin Audio
Length: 8 sound discs (9 hr., 30 min.)
Source: Library
Format: Audio
Rating: 4 stars

Summary from Goodreads: Tory Brennan, niece of acclaimed forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan (of the Bones novels and hit TV show), is the leader of a ragtag band of teenage "sci-philes" who live on a secluded island off the coast of South Carolina. When the group rescues a dog caged for medical testing on a nearby island, they are exposed to an experimental strain of canine parvovirus that changes their lives forever.

As the friends discover their heightened senses and animal-quick reflexes, they must combine their scientific curiosity with their newfound physical gifts to solve a cold-case murder that has suddenly become very hot if they can stay alive long enough to catch the killer's scent.

Fortunately, they are now more than friends they're a pack. They are Virals

Virals is like no other book I've ever read...er... listened to.  I'm glad I didn't really know what the book was about when I checked it out from the library because Virals is not the typical type of book I read and I probabaly wouldn't have picked it up.  However, I ended up really enjoying it. 

The Virals are a group of friends who end up catching an experimental virus that gives them special powers.  I love this idea; it's kind of a Heros and X-Men mix.  At first Tory and her friends' new abilities were kind of freaky, but as they learned to control their new powers and use them for good I was more on board.  The scenes were really funny as each person dealt with their changing bodies and emotions in different ways. 

Tory and her friends were also great characters.  They each had their own vibe, but meshed really well as a group.  I did, however, wish there was a little more character development.  While I liked these characters, I never felt like I really got to know them or understand them.

The best thing about this novel was definitely the mystery that the Virals had to solve.  There are twists and turns in the plot and you're never quite sure who are the bad guys and who are the good guys.  I was a bit shocked when we found out who was responsible.

The narration of this book was done really well.  It was easy to follow and flowed really well.  I loved how the audio indicated the change from when the Virals were in their normal mode and when they went into their paranormal mode.  It always nice when an audio does something a bit extra to help the readers/listeners out. 

Virals definitely taught me it is worth trying a book outside your normal comfort zone...you just might be pleasantly surprised. 

1 comment:

  1. I've had this one on my shelves for what seems like forever, I really need to pick it up soon and actually read it :)

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.