Monday, June 11, 2012

Review of Paper Towns by John Green

Title: Paper Towns
Author: John Green
Narrator: Dan John Miller
Published by: Brilliance Corporation
Length: 7 sound discs (ca. 8 hr.)
Source: Library
Format: Audio
Rating: 4.5 stars
Summary from Goodreads: When Margo Roth Spiegelman beckons Quentin Jacobsen in the middle of the night - dressed like a ninja and plotting an ingenious campaign of revenge - he follows her. Margo's always planned extravagantly, and, until now, she's always planned solo. After a lifetime of loving Margo from afar, things are finally looking up for Q . . . until day breaks and she has vanished. Always an enigma, Margo has now become a mystery. But there are clues. And they're for Q.

Does the nice guy ever get the girl?  What I've noticed in John Green books is that there is a nice, cute guy chasing, a hot, popular girl.  Paper Towns is no exception. 

Margo Roth Spiegelman is the unattainable next door neighbor to Quentin, "Q."  She's definitely fun, quirky, a bit moody and completely crazy, but in a good way.  She eccentric and fun.  Despite her disregard for other's feelings and her self-centeredness, I did enjoy her as a character.  She was carefree and adventuress.  I think part of me wanted to be her a little bit; to have to worries or cares and to let loose and just have fun. 

As always John Green's characters are FABULOUS.  They are so much fun and so completely real at the same time.  They are refreshingly witty and comical and I promise you'll be laughing throughout the novel.  Ben and Radar are the perfect best friends.  They make a great balance to Q and are almost larger than life, yet they are band geeks.  You can't help but love them. 

As for the story, I loved the mystery.  The clues Margo left were extremely cryptic and it was fun trying to decode them along with Q and his friends.  It kind of felt like a big scavenger hunt or a treasure map.  It was so much fun and I really felt like I was part of it.

The narration of this books was done extremely well.  It had a good pacing and was really easy to follow. 

3 comments:

  1. I still haven't read anything by John Green but since this one sounds so great I might have to do that very soon. And it has a mystery? Now I can't wait. :) Fantastic review, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gahhhhhh John Green. I've yet to review a single of his books on my site, but he's just brilliant, isn't he?! Love this review, and so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review. It made me want to read this again. He does to excellent teen characters....

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.