Friday, April 27, 2012

Friday Night Date Night

Friday Night Date Night is a feature on my blog that showcases movie review (mostly movies that were adapted from books). Hopefully some of these reviews will help you decide what to watch on your date night or a night of relaxing at home.
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
When I first heard that James Franco was starring in 127 Hours I was intrigued.  As much as I like James Franco, I wasn't sure how he'd tackle this incredible story of strength, willpower and determination.  Was I a bit nervous, sure but I'm happy to say I really enjoyed seeing a more serious James Franco.


This story is such a powerful one.  Can you imagine being trapped in the desert with your arm crushed by a rock and no hope of getting out?  Or what about cutting off your own arm with a dull pocket knife just to possibly survive?  Throughout the story I was blown away by the inventiveness and self-preservation skills that Aron Ralston had.  I'm pretty sure I would have given up and waited for death to come. 


This movie really made me think about the power that a person possesses that they don't even know they have.  It is an incredible thought that when it comes down to it we may have the strength to survive and overcome obstacles no matter how large or unmovable they seem. 

While I did enjoy the movie I have to admit that I couldn't watch the last 15 minutes or so of it.  I had to ask my sister and brother-in-law to tell me when it was over.  I sat just like a little kid, with my fingers in my ears and over my eyes.  I'm not much for blood or any kind of pain so I knew that I couldn't handle the ending.  So fair warning, if you have a queasy stomach you may want to cover your eyes. 

This movie is so completely worth watching.  It will definitely make you think about your own will-power and a sense of self preservation.

Want to see more?


*Pictures courtesy of goodreads and moviefone.com*

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I watched this with hubby and daughter who both LOVE the very grotesque Saw films, and they got queasy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember watching this movie half horrified, half fascinated. I think I would have died from the sheer pain of having my arm trapped.

    You're right. It was great seeing James Franco in a more serious role.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard a friend talking about this movie and she said it was a great one to watch. I can't wait to rent it and watch it. Sounds and looks really good.

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.