Thursday, April 26, 2012

Review of Jenny Pox by J.L. Bryan

Title: Jenny Pox
Author: J.L. Bryan
Pages: 216
Source: Free from Amazon (Obtained December 27, 2011)
Format: ebook
Rating: 3.5 stars

Summary from Goodreads: Eighteen-year-old Jenny Morton has a horrific secret: her touch spreads a deadly supernatural plague, the "Jenny pox." She lives by a single rule: Never touch anyone. A lifetime of avoiding any physical contact with others has made her isolated and painfully lonely in her small rural town.

Then she meets the one boy she can touch. Jenny feels herself falling for Seth...but if she's going to be with him, Jenny must learn to use the deadly pox inside her to confront his ruthless and manipulative girlfriend Ashleigh, who secretly wields the most dangerous power of all.

Are you scared of catching the Jenny Pox?  It's similar to the chicken pox, only it's deadly. 

This is one of those books that I easily slipped into.  It was intriguing and held my attention from page one.  Jenny is a complex character; she really wants to be normal but she can't touch anyone for fear of killing them.  So of course, who does she fall for but the town's golden boy and her arch-enemy's boyfriend.  Miraculously while Jenny kills with her touch, Seth can heal with his so he is the only person Jenny can touch.  I really wanted Jenny to be liked and appreciated by others, and I truly liked Seth but I just wish he wasn't the "it" boy.  What is wrong with a cute, slightly geeky guy?  Why can't main characters fall for one of those boys, instead of the star football player? *sorry for the off-subject rant*

I think that as a child Jenny isolated herself and soon everyone else isolated her as well.  I understand that Jenny needed to isolate herself in fear that she'd really hurt someone, but I can see how people would think she was standoffish at first.  I feel someone in the community or school should have reached out to her or at least tried harder to get to know her.  

As for the other characters no one really stood out for me besides, Jenny's arch-enemy, Ashleigh.  While Jenny may kill with her touch, Ashleigh is the deadly one.  She does some really horrible things in Jenny Pox.  I had a really hard time stomaching her character.  She was vicious, cruel, cold and manipulative.  I couldn't believe someone could act the way she did and do such hurtfull things and still be ok with herself at night. 

The ending of this book was explosive.  It was chaotic, crazy, and even days after finishing it I'm still trying to sort it out in my head.  I'm a little confused as to what happened and a little appalled at certain people's actions.  I think I need some time to digest what happened before going on to the book.

2 comments:

  1. Dang! I could really kick myself right now. I have this book and I've had it forever, but I still haven't read it, despite the fact that I keep hearing incredible things about it.

    I've read a few Ashleigh interviews. She doesn't seem that bad. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one on my kindle and I am really hoping to get round to it soon! great review, I'm lookign forward to it even more now! Nice blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.