Thursday, April 19, 2012

What's your favorite revamped fairy tale?

It seems like a current trend in YA literature to revamp our beloved fairy tales.  With books like Cinder by Marissa Meyer, Entwined by Heather Dixon, and Red Riding Hood by Sarah Blakley-Cartwright and David Leslie Johnson we have a plethora to choose from.

Personally my favorite fairy tale is Sleepy Beauty.  I have loved it since I was a little girl and even thought about naming one of my future children Aurora.  Therefore, I was excited and apprehensive when I learned that Sleepy Beauty was being retold and revamped into a novel called A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan.  I had no need to worry...I absolutely loved the story.
A Long, Long Sleep
What about you? So far what is your favorite revamped fairy tale?  + Are there any fairy tales that haven't been retold that you wish were?

7 comments:

  1. Pamela Dean's Tam Lin is one of my favorites, though that's more of a faerie song than a traditional Disnified fairy tale. :)
    I'll have to check out A Long, Long Sleep...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Revamped fairy tales are just so fun - I just LOVE them. I would love to see someone do a revamped Little Mermaid of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. New Follower!

    I am really just beginning to read more of the retellings but one I have loved so far is by Alex Flinn called A Kiss in Time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, yes! Thanks for reminding me of A Long, Long Sleep. It's somewhere buried in my TBR.

    And I kind of want to see if I can find Cinder at the library on audiobook or something. I struggle with sci-fi, so that might be the only way I could get into it.

    I don't read many retellings, but I should.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Aurora is one of my top girl names, too! I need a baby... but first I need a boyfriend. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had Aurora on my list before our baby girl was born last winter actually, so I agree with you there :D ;)

    A long long sleep sounds like a very interesting tale. I might just have to buy myself a copy. I've read a few pages of Cinder and I loved what I've read so far. I just had to put it back into the shelf because of other books I had to read.

    I'm not sure if I've read any retelling, can you believe it?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read many fairy tale retellings, but I did enjoy Cloaked by Alex Finn. It was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.