Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Review of Dreaming Anastasia by Joy Preble

Dreaming Anastasia (Dreaming Anastasia, #1)Title: Dreaming Anastasia
Author: Joy Preble
Published by: Kindle Edition
Source: Free from Amazon (Obtained February 3, 2011)                  
Format: ebook
Rating:★★★

Summary from Goodreads: Anastasia Romanov thought she would never feel more alone than when the gunfire started and her family began to fall around her. Surely the bullets would come for her next. But they didn't. Instead, two gnarled old hands reached for her. When she wakes up she discovers that she is in the ancient hut of the witch Baba Yaga, and that some things are worse than being dead.

In modern-day Chicago, Anne doesn't know much about Russian history. She is more concerned about getting into a good college—until the dreams start. She is somewhere else. She is someone else. And she is sharing a small room with a very old woman. The vivid dreams startle her, but not until a handsome stranger offers to explain them does she realize her life is going to change forever. She is the only one who can save Anastasia. But, Anastasia is having her own dreams…

I'd heard of the story of Anastasia Romanov before reading this book, but didn't know much about it.  After learning more about the massacre of her family and the rumors of her possible escape, one can not help but get intrigued. 

Joy Preble takes the story of Anastasia and give it some more depth.  Instead of just escaping the massacre Anastasia is actually taken by a witch in thoughts it would save her family from being murdered.  Along with Anastasia's kidnapping a prophecy is discovered that only a decedent of the Romano bloodline can be the one to save Anastasia and set her free.  This twist was really interesting and I think it added not only a fantasy component but also made the story more real by including a common girl who has to save the day. 

I enjoyed Anna as a character.  I thought she was feisty and wasn't quick to believe a stranger.  Even after weird events happened, it still took some convincing for her to believe she was connected to Anastasia.  I thought this part was very believable.  I think most people would have a hard time believing they were suppose to save someone, who has been thought to be dead for 100 years, from a fairy tale witch.  One of the things I did have a hard time with is Anna being able to skip school and gallivanting around town with a boy she had just met.  As protective as her parents sounded, I think she would have been more than grounded.

Well the story was enjoyable, it took awhile for me to get into it.  About midway through the action picked up and I became a little more invested in the story.  There were some plot twists I was expecting and also a couple I wasn't.  I wish I could have connected more with the characters.  They seemed a bit distant and not approachable.  Well I may not have loved the characters I liked their drive and determination to save Anastasia. 

Beware, the ending may take you by surprise.  While I wasn't expecting the ending I did understand it and I'm intrigued to see what will happen next.

3 comments:

  1. What happened to the Romanov family was tragic, but the rumors that some of the children escaped, fascinating.

    Reading stories based on tragic histories is kind of hard for me, so I'm not sure this one is for me, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this book on my shelves forever! I'm going to read it one day, I swear! Thanks for the warning about the slow beginning. I'll keep that in mind when I get around to this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this book because I love the Romanov family but I'm always hesitant to pick up books about Anastasia because they don't always do it for me. The twist in this one definitely sounds interesting enough.

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.