Monday, April 9, 2012

Review of Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood

Title: Born Wicked
Author: Jessica Spotswood
Published by: Putnam Juvenile                     
Pages: 330
Source: Library
Format: Hardcover
Rating:★★★★★

Summary from Goodreads: Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they're witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship - or an early grave.

Do you believe in magic?  I've always been intrigued with witches since I was young.  Soon, probably while watching an episode of Charmed, I've wondered if it is possible that people with powers really exist.  I don't know if they are witches, heroes, or superhuman, but it makes me question the possibility.  I haven't decided anything for sure and will probably need tons of proof, but I think it could be possible.

That being said, I've always devoured any reading dealing with Witchcraft.  When I first heard about Born Wicked I got really excited.  Historical and witchcraft...what could be better?  I'm happy to tell you that Born Wicked not only lived up to be expectations but far surpassed them. 

Cate is the type of character you instantly feel something for.  It may be understanding, pity or even dislike, but the most important thing is that she makes you feel.  She's led a difficult life and throughout the story she has to make life-changing decisions that not only affect her but others around her as well.  Jessica Spotswood did an amazing job getting the reader to feel the emotional turmoil Cate has to go through.  She's put in these challenging situations where she has to sacrifice so much and it can't help but break your heart a little.

Some of these characters and secrets in this novel will shock you and horrify you.  I felt at every chapter there was a new challenge or twist to the plot.  While there is some mystery, there is also some steamy romance.  Finn stole more heart from the minute he was introduced.  While there was a bit of a love triangle (though I don't think it added much to the story), there was no choice in my mind.  Any man who is that fiercely protective of his mother and sister has my vote. 

The ending left me breathless.  While, it's not necessarily a cliffhanger I'm still anxious and excited to know what happens next.   

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this one. Great Review :) Have you ever read 'The Gemma Doyle Trilogy' by Libba Bray? I think you'd enjoy it if you liked this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so anxious for more too, which really surprised me because I'm not normally one for witches. But yes, I loved this one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read so many positive reviews for BORN WICKED and it has been on my to-read list for such a long time, that I'm starting to get angry at myself for not having bought a copy yet. I'm really glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing your review and thus reminding me of yet another book that I need to read soon. :D

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this one so much! Finn was fantastic, wasn't he? I cannot wait for the sequel. Fantastic review, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.