Friday, October 7, 2011

Friday Night Date Night


On Fridays I wanted to do something a little different then what I normally do.  I decided that on Fridays I'm going to do movie reviews.  I'm hoping to review mostly movies adapted from books, but I'm sure other movies that were not based on books will pop up every now and then.  Hopefully some of these reviews will help you decide what to watch on your date night or a night of chillin with the girls.  


So last night  my bestie and I went to go see The Help based on the novel The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  We've both read the book and absolutely loved it too pieces so we both had high hopes for the movie.  My reading the book and listening to the audiobook (yes it that good that I did both) was a difficult but rewarding experience, so I was really nervous about how some of the scenes would transfer to the big screen.

The verdict...I loved the movie.  For about the first 20 minutes I was unsure if I would like it.  I felt that maybe people who didn't read the book would have a hard time following, but then I decided I was wrong.  I came into it expecting the movie to be exactly like the novel so when it didn't start out the same I jumped to conclusions thinking people wouldn't get the story.  After seeing the whole movie I know people will not have a hard time understanding the message of this novel/movie. 

As I thought, some of the scenes were hard to watch but the director did them in a tasteful, but truthful way.  I thought the movie stuck really well to the novel, and the changes that were made only increased the imagery and added to the story. 

I was really pleased with all the actors that were chosen and think they did a great job portraying these characters I've come to know and love.  I actually heard somewhere that the character of Minny was based on the actor Octavia Spencer.  Octavia Spencer is a good friend of Kathryn Stockett and she not only reads Minny's part in the audiobook, but also plays her in the movie.  

Just like reading the novel, the movie was an emotional rollarcoaster for me.  I laughed, I cringed, I cheered and I cried.  Despite my wild ride this is a movie I won't soon forget. 

Still unsure of if you want to see it? Check out the trailer!
    

2 comments:

  1. Lisa! I love this idea. I hope you can find a lot of movie adaptions of books to review. There should be a lot.

    And Whoa! You loved The Help so much that you read it, listened to it and watched the movie. I official declare you my The Help expert!

    I tried reading the book, but I had a hard time with the language and gave up pretty quickly. Will have to try again, or maybe the audio book work work better for me.

    Happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this book but I went to see the movie and adored it! I was squirming in my seat I was so angry at some of those women, I just wanted to reach in and smack them! Love that your going to do Friday movie reviews, such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.