Thursday, October 27, 2011

Review of Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

Title: Beauty Queens
Author: Libba Bray
Published by: Scholastic Press
Discs: 12
Source: Libaray
Format: Audiobook
Rating: ★★★★★
Summary from Goodreads: The fifty contestants in the Miss Teen Dream pageant thought this was going to be a fun trip to the beach, where they could parade in their state-appropriate costumes and compete in front of the cameras. But sadly, their airplane had another idea crashing on a desert island and leaving the survivors stranded with little food, little water, and practically no eyeliner.

What's a beauty queen to do? Continue to practice for the talent portion of the program--or wrestle snakes to the ground? Get a perfect tan--or learn to run wild? And what should happen when the sexy pirates show up?

This is the most hilarious book I've read/listened to in a long time.  Libbra Bray does an amazing job narrating Beauty Queens.  She uses different accents for each of the characters (probably around 20) and it brings so much life to the story.  Her voice pulls you in and even if the book was terrible (which Beauty Queens is definitely not) you'd still be captivated by her story telling.  One of my favorite things is that one of the characters announced each of the discs and had a little antidote for each number.  Like if I remember right, Disc 7 was the number of calories she was allowed for breakfast each morning.  It was so funny and something I've never heard before in an audio book.

The story was incredibly funny, but also dealt with some unexpected issues such as homosexuality, transgender identity, feminism, sexuality, and racism.  I loved how Libbra Bray started out with each Beauty Queen having a stereotypical image, but as the story progressed you really got to know each of the contestants that survived the crash and what they were really like behind the sequins, hairspray and the caked on makeup.

Another of my favorite things about the novel was the commercial interruptions.  They essentially made fun of common products that everyone uses.  It almost felt like a parody at times.  I laughed so hard while listening to this audio book that I actually had people stop and ask me if I was ok (multiple times too).  I must have paused it at least 10 times to tell the person whose desk is by mine funny things that were happening in the story.  Some parts were so amusing I just had to share them with other people.

This is a don't miss story...seriously even if you are not an audio book fan listen to this book on audio.  It was seriously on of the best audio books I've ever listened to. 

4 comments:

  1. I read many reviews that said that Beauty Queens is a hilarious book. I so need a good hilarious book, so def. going to get this one..hopefully very soon. I never tried an audio book, but this sounds like a fun one to listen to. Too bad that my library doesn't have them, and certainly not young adult ones. I def. love the cover of this book, it's so cool. Great review, you got me excited to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've read a review for this book in which the reader wasn't thoroughly entertained! So yes, it's been on my TBR for a while now. But now I'm wondering it if would be better to listen to it than read it? Seems so. And how funny that people kept asking you if you were okay. Of course you are if your laughing that much! Right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Nina--This would be a great first audiobook to listen too. Libbra Bray does such an amazing job you will be highly entertained. I don't think I would listen to as many audiobooks if my library didn't carry so many. They are quite expensive.

    @ Missie--Definitely listen to this book over reading it. I'm sure I looked crazy laughing hysterically while listening to this book on my ipod. Oh well...I completely embrace the crazies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only just barely gotten into audio books. I've listened to a few so far, and most of them have been good experiences. But they have all been rereads so far. Before very recently, I'd never had good luck with them. But you make a very compelling argument and I'm actually really looking forward to listening to this one! Guess I'd better get me a move on :P

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.