Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Review of Blood Drive by Traci Houston

Title: Blood Drive
Author: Traci Houston
Published by: Round Table Press Inc
Pages: 252
Source: Blood Drive Book Tour hosted by Once Upon a Twilight/Publisher
Format: ARC
Rating: ★★★

Summary from Goodreads: When a group of vampires rises from the dark of the humid Miami summer and murders her partner, officer Cara Evens gathers a group of allies with their own unique abilities to avenge her partner's death and save the city. To succeed she'll have to accept her own changing abilities, ignore her lust for a vampire and hide the one thing her enemies need to kill them all.

This novel had some of the most interesting supernatural creatures I've ever experienced.  Not only do we get vampires and witches, we get a Vishka, a gremlin, some Treshcans, and a grounder (which I still don't really understand...I think it is some kind of helper witch.  If anyone has information on grounders feel free to enlighten me on this topic).  This world of otherkin was very fascinating.  I wish the author would have gone into a little more detail about this world though.  There were so many interesting creatures and I would have loved to see how they all connected. I did enjoy the vampire lore and learning how vampires transcended from guardians to being blood thirsty killers.  Maybe we'll learn more about the other creatures and their backgrounds in future books. 

Cara's group of friends turn out to be a really kick butt team.  I enjoyed Mason, Thomas and Beth and I think they added a lot of depth to the story.  I felt as if we got to know these characters more as the story unfolded.  Beth was a very selfless women who would make a great friend.  She was caring and wise.  I felt like she was the Brains behind the whole operation.  Without her they would have failed miserably.  She still has this secret that she is hiding though, and I'm interested to find out what it is. 

As for Cara I felt she was a very closed off character.  She has some psychic and empathic abilities so she learned to shut down her emotions.  I can't imagine the burden she had to carry with these special "gifts" of hers and they are not something I would wish on anyone.  I knew that throughout the story, her tough exterior shell was cracking, but for me it was not enough to truly connect with her.   

Overall, this was a quick read that introduced me to a intricate world of new creatures, with a fast paced plot and enough of a cliffhanger to leave you wondering what Traci Houston's next books will hold.

1 comment:

  1. You seemed to have liked this one a lot better than me, and for that I'm happy, Lisa. I was disappointed by how underdeveloped the Otherkin seemed and like you, I wanted to know more about them. But you are right about Beth being the brains of the operation. She was my favorite character.

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.