Friday, October 14, 2011

Friday Night Date Night


On Fridays I wanted to do something a little different then what I normally do.  I decided that on Fridays I'm going to do movie reviews.  I'm hoping to review mostly movies adapted from books, but I'm sure other movies that were not based on books will pop up every now and then.  Hopefully some of these reviews will help you decide what to watch on your date night or a night of chillin with the girls.

I loved modern retellings of fairytales.  It is so interesting to see how an author will put a fresh twist on a story we all know and love.  That being said, I really enjoyed Beastly by Alex Flinn.  It was fun, exciting and simply a great story.  When I heard that Alex Pettyfer would be playing the main character Kyle in the movie adaptation, I was intrigued and knew this was a movie I wanted to see.  I mean come on this boy is seriously hott!

The movie started out with Kyle being as arogant as ever.  In fact, I felt it was a little over the top.  Of course he's arrogant in the novel also, but that seemed like typical rich, good-looking, all-star teenage boy arrogance whereas I felt the movie took it to a whole different level.  I didn't feel like this was real and his campaine for Green Earth president (or whatever it was) was ridiculous and I cannot see how any school would allow him on the ballot.  Seriously if someone who was running for an office asked me "Should you vote for me just because I'm a rich, popular, good looking guy...hell yeah," I think I'd either laugh out loud or just shake my head in disgust. 

Next we meet Kendra, the teenage witch played by Mary-Kate Olsen.  I loved Mary-Kate's take on Kendra.  She was edgy and high fashion yet definetly had a dark and mysterious quality to her.  It's definitely a change from her Full House days. 

While the movie followed the story line of the book I felt like there were a lot of liberties taken.  Parts of the book that I was excited to see never showed up in the movie, and then other parts were totally transformed into different, more interesting scenarios.

Alex Pettyfer and Vanessa Hudgens did have great on-screen chemistry.  Once Kyle and Lindy's relationship got heated up you could see they really had feelings for each other.  They seemed to play off each other really well and I started enjoying them more as the movie went along.       
 
I had high hopes for this movie and I'm not sure if it didn't live up to it because the book is almost always better than the movie or if there were just too many changes for my liking.  I did enjoy the movie, but it wasn't one of my favorites. 

Wanna hear more...check out the trailer to see more on this movie.   

3 comments:

  1. I really did not like this movie, the only good part for me was Mary kate! :) She's a really good actress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the book, and I'm surprised to here there were so many chances. I hate it when a scene you are looking forward to is completely cut out of the movie.

    I wasn't too impressed with this film, but Mary Kate was an awesome witch! She really worked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to see this movie! I hear it hasn't been great, but I still want to see it lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.