Thursday, October 13, 2011

Review of Where Demons Fear to Tread by Stephanie Chong

Title: Where Demons Fear to Tread
Author: Stephanie Chong
Published by: Mira
Pages: 358
Source: From Author/Publicity Firm
Format: ARC
Rating: 


Summary From Goodreads: Fledging guardian angel and yoga teacher Serena St. Clair dares enter Devil's Paradise nightclub on a mission—to retrieve the wayward Hollywood "It Boy" she's assigned to protect. But she's ambushed by the club's owner, arch demon Julian Ascher. The most powerful demonic entity in Los Angeles, Julian is handsome as sin, a master of temptation who loves nothing more than corrupting pleasure–seeking humans. He won't release the lost soul Serena is supposed to guard. Unless she accepts his dangerous wager…

After the disastrous way his human life ended, Julian vowed that no woman would get the better of him again. Yet this sexy–sweet angel, smelling of fresh ocean air and happiness, triggers centuries–old feelings. Now, their high–stakes game of seduction, where angels fall from grace and where demons fear to tread, will lead them either to an eternity in hell or a deliciously hot heaven.

Meet Serena, an ethereal Angel whose sweet looks mask her feisty attitude and her determination to save souls.  Serena is not your typical Angel.  Sure she is sweet, honest and good to her core, but she's also passionate and is willing to risk it all just to save a soul...but whose soul is the question. 

Meet Julian, a wickedly sexy demon whose life revolves around pleasure and corrupting others.  He's made his life and his fortune out of sending others to the depths of hell, and enjoys the sport of it.

What do you get when you mix a touch of heaven, with a flick of hell...a whole lot of sexual tension.  This novel had quite a twist on the bad boy/good girl scenario.  In fact, besides the devil himself and the Virgin Mary, I'm not sure there is a match quite as opposite as Julian and Serena.  One of my favorite things about this novel was the self reflection and doubt each of the characters had.  They both knew their place in life, but never stopped questioning their actions towards one another.  Though one was essentially good and the other essentially bad, things were not always as black and white as they seemed. 

While I thoroughly enjoyed Julian, some of the other demons in this novel frightened me to my core.  Their actions were horrifying and often cringe worthy.  Serena is one tough cookie for being subjected to these creatures and surviving.  I think I would have ended completely insane. 

The one thing I didn't quite understand was Luciana's vengeance.   It seems as if she and Julian had two different view points to the same situation.  I'm not sure who to believe, but I'm inclined to go with the dangerously seductive hot blooded demon over the conniving vicious one.

While not being preachy, this novel definitely gave you a lot to think about and self reflect on your own actions.  Even though I'm no Serena, I'm definitely not demon material either.  I'm glad things are a little gray here.  It keeps life interesting.     

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm.. the story seems a bit far-fetched, but then again, it's fantasy so I think I can get why it doesn't always make sense. LOL

    Angels aren't really my thing and you've kind of scared me by the way you described those demons, so I might hold off on this one for a while. Thanks Lisa!

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.