Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Butterbeer...yum, yum!


Who doesn't love the Harry Potter series?  I'm kind of missing the series a bit, so I was checking out some of the attractions at Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando and I found out that the most popular food item sold was Butterbeer.  This got me really excited so I found a recipe and I'm going to try and make my own. I'll take pictures and let you know how it turns out, but for now I want to leave you with the recipe.


BUTTERBEER
Start to finish: 1 hour (10 minutes active)

Servings: 4
1 cup light or dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons water
6 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
3/4 cup heavy cream, divided
1/2 teaspoon rum extract
Four 12-ounce bottles cream soda

In a small saucepan over medium, combine the brown sugar and water. Bring to a gentle boil and cook, stirring often, until the mixture reads 240 F on a candy thermometer.

Stir in the butter, salt, vinegar and 1/4 heavy cream. Set aside to cool to room temperature.

Once the mixture has cooled, stir in the rum extract.

In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar mixture and the remaining 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Use an electric mixer to beat until just thickened, but not completely whipped, about 2 to 3 minutes.
To serve, divide the brown sugar mixture between 4 tall glasses (about 1/4 cup for each glass). Add 1/4 cup of cream soda to each glass, then stir to combine. Fill each glass nearly to the top with additional cream soda, then spoon the whipped topping over each.
 
Taken from:  http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/07/02/harry-potters-butterbeer-recipe-uncovered

Have anyone tried Butterbeer before?  I haven't, but I'm sure excited to make it!

6 comments:

  1. mmmm... this looks good. I'm going to have to try it one day. Do they make an adult version? *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of substituting the rum extract for the real thing and maybe increase that portion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool!!! I haven't tried it but I live in Orlando and I'm dying to visit the park! Keep us posted on how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. NOM! I'm definitely going to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I'm a terrible cook, but this sounds like something even I could do. ;)

    I will be subbing the rum extract!

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.