Name: EvelynGender: Female
Character From: What I Saw How I Lied by Judy Blundell
Meanings and history of the name Evelyn:
- The original form was the Norman French female name Aveline, related to the Germanic Ava/Avia, of unknown meaning. In Latin 'avis' meant 'bird' so that has been attached for convenience, as has the French avelline from Latin avellana meaning 'hazelnut'. It has also been used as an Anglicized form of the Irish Gaelic Éibhleann meaning 'radiance' but this is coincidental attachment rather than true origin.
- I don't know anyone named Evelyn. What about you?
- Evelyn, London, UK
- Evelyn, Ontario, Canada
- Evelyn, California, USA
- Evelyn, Michigan, USA
- Electoral district of Evelyn, an electoral district in Victoria, Australia
- Famous real-life people named Evelyn:
- Evelyn Nesbit, American model and vaudeville personality
- Evelyn Keyes, American actress who played Suellen O'Hara, younger sister of Scarlett, in the film "Gone With the Wind".
- Evelyn Ashford, American Olympic gold medalist in the 100 meter sprint, 1984
- Evelyn Margaret Ay, winner of the 1954 Miss America pageant
- Evelyn in song, story & screen:
- Evelyn was the female lead played by Kate Beckinsale in the movie "Pearl Harbor."
- Evelyn (Evie) was the female lead played by Natalie Portman in the movie "V for Vendetta."
- Evelyn Salt was the female title character played by Angelina Jolie in the 2010 movie "Salt".
List adapted from www.babynamewizard.com
These are just some I know...what about you?