Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Review of The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan

Book:  The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson Book Five)
Author:  Rick Riordan
Published by:  Hyperion Book
Pages:  381

 From GoodreadsAll year the half-bloods have been preparing for battle against the Titans, knowing the odds of a victory are grim. Kronos’s army is stronger than ever, and with every god and half-blood he recruits, the evil Titan’s power only grows. While the Olympians struggle to contain the rampaging monster Typhon, Kronos begins his advance on New York City, where Mount Olympus stands virtually unguarded. Now it’s up to Percy Jackson and an army of young demigods to stop the Lord of Time.

The last novel in a series is always a little bittersweet for me.  Of course I want to know how it all ends, but at the same time I don't want it to end.  I feel as if I've come to know these characters as friends and I will miss them dearly.
 

The Last Olympian is an epic novel with gods and demi-gods battling titans not only literally but also strategically.  Like all of the previous novels in the series, the fight scenes are original and creative.  They never end how you expect them to end; something always pops up out of left field (or in this case out of the pits of tartarus).  I'm very happy this book wasn't just all battle scenes, instead you got to look into some of the characters' lives to help discover certain reasons they were acting how they did.

The writing in this book is so descriptive and inventive.  I feel this is a truly original series that shows something like Greek Mythology in a whole different light.   There was so much in Greek Mythology that I didn't understand and this novel really got me looking into the Titans and the minor gods.  Riordan's storyline and how he gets everything to connect is pure genius. 

I must say that I wish I was Annabeth and that Percy was my best friend.  These two characters are amazing and I truly am going to miss their herioic nature and their constant love-hate relationship.  This was a great end to an amazing series.

I would recommend this book (and series) to just about anyone.  It's so much fun and it really gets you interested in Greek Mythology.

Overall I'd give this book ★★★★★

3 comments:

  1. I loved this entire series, and I felt the same way you did with this final book. I didn't want to see the series end, but I was dying to know how it would end. It think it ended perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm barely on book 3 of this series, but it is quickly feeling the gap that harry potter left a couple years ago! i love it :) thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. this book completely BLEW ME AWAY!!! It has everything: romance, action, suspense. I love how Percy and Annabeth fall in love at the end. You can really tell that the characters have matured a lot and it makes me want to start at the beginning all over again. So basically I LOVED the book and I think it was the best book in the series BY FAR!!! I am really going to miss this series a lot!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.