Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Review of Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Book:  Hex Hall
Author:  Rachel Hawkins
Published by:  Hyperion Book
Pages:  323

From GoodreadsThree years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters. By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect. 

This was a surprisingly good novel in YA paranormal genre.  I didn't really know what to think of it going in, but I know that I love stories about witches so I thought I'd give it a try.

I adored the humor in this novel.  I reminded me of the movie The Craft only in a comedic, young adult way.  There are snappy exchanges between all the characters that have you laughing-out-loud and wishing you could think of come-backs that fast.

I loved that these characters were not cut and dry.  They had issues with their families, friends, and each other.  The secrets each of them held not only ruled their lives, but also the lives of the student's around them.  Some of these secrets were your normal teenage secrets while others were dangerous and life-threatening.   

This novel had one of the best surprise endings I've read in a while.  It had twists and turns that made you dizzy and rereading paragraphs just to make sure what you thought happened did actually happen.  I cannot wait to find out where the story goes in it's sequel Demonglass available March 1, 2011. 

This was definitely a fun read that I recommend to any YA reader.

Overall I'd give this book ★★★★ 

6 comments:

  1. I loved this book! I'm glad you found it just as fun :) I hope Demonglass is double the goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just added this to my wish list! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I thought this was such a fun read too! After I finished it I signed up for that Crushing on Archer Cross 101 class.

    I'm definitely looking forward to the next book. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book was so fun and I really liked it! Great Review! And the sequel comes out soon! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for entering the Ultimate Reviewer's Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this yet, but I'm dying to!

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.