Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Review of Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Book:  Clockwork Angel
Author:  Cassandra Clare
Published by:  Margaret K. McElderry
Pages:  479

From Goodreads:  When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.  Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

I loved Clare's The Mortal Instruments series so I was excited to read another series by her.  I like novels set in past time periods and the thought of Shadowhunters in Victorian times was thrilling, especially when they were relatives of Jace.  

This novel was fast paced, and full of action.  There were twists, turns, and surprises in every chapter.  The action was thrilling,and nail-bitingly good with battles that left you cheering and gasping with shock on the same page.  The dialogue was witty and laugh-out-loud funny.  It has all the elements to make a great book.  

That being said, I did like this book.  However, I wasn't in love with it.  I can't pinpoint exactly what it was about this book, like I said it had everything to be a great book, but it just didn't do it for me.  

The one thing I really didn't like about this book was Tessa.  I feel as if Clare has a thing for writing whiny, self-absorbed female characters.  Tessa had a one track mind about helping her brother and didn't care at what cost it was to others.  I found myself often frustrated and exasperated by her character.

I did really like the rest of the characters though.  They were unique and interesting in their own ways.  Jem was sweet and kind while Will was dark and broody.  They both have secrets that this novel hints at but it's evident we will need to wait until the next book to figure out their secrets along with Tessa's.  

Again as the new trend in series happens to be, this book ends with a bit of a cliffhanger.  Good thing the next book comes out this August.  

Overall I'd give this book ★★★     

7 comments:

  1. I liked this book a lot but I thought there wasn't enough romance though !! I'm hoping Clockwork Prince will be a little more romantic (TEAM WILL!!) !!
    THanks for stopping so often by my blog !! You're great Lisa !!
    Awesome review ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I've hear simular things about the characters. I haven't read this one yet, but I do want to read it! Great review. Reminds me there are new series I need to start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you! It was amazing but I didn't love it like i love the Mortal Instruments!

    Loved the review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. I enjoyed this book but don't think the characters are as strong as in The Mortal Instrument. The only one I really like was Jem :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, I haven't read TMI, and CA was my first time to read anything by Clare. I love it.

    Will was my favorite character. He was just so funny.

    Glad you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is this book one in a series or just a stand alone. What a great review. I like the part about it being action packed with twists and turns. I'm always drawn to those types of books. I'm a bit scared away by the Victorian Times part though. I guess I'm undecided on if I should read it or not. I'll keep reading reviews...

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Gina It's the first book in a series. It is the prequel to another series, The Mortal Instruments, by the same author. If your looking for an action packed YA read that's not in the Victorian time period I would suggest the first book in that series, City of Bones.

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.