Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Review of Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz

Book:  Blue Bloods
Author:  Melissa de la Cruz
Published by:  Hyperion
Pages:  302

From GoodreadsSchuyler Van Alen is confused about what is happening to her. Her veins are starting to turn blue, and she's starting to crave raw meat. Soon, her world is thrust into an intricate maze of secret societies and bitter intrigue. Schuyler has never been a part of the trendy crowd at her prestigious New York private school. Now, all of a sudden, Jack Force, the most popular guy in school, is showing an interest in her. And when one of the popular girls is found dead, Schuyler and Jack are determined to get to the bottom of it.

I know there are a lot of vampire books out there but what makes this one any different...reincarnation.  I was really surprised too.  Like other vampire series, the vampires in this novel are immortal but they can choose to recycle every hundred years or so.  I thought this was an interesting twist.  Just imagine finding out not only your a vampire but that you also have memories from every "life" you lived up until this point.  How crazy and overloaded would your mind feel?   

Despite the lack of action in this book, I still enjoyed it.  There was something about it that really hooked me and kept my attention.  

I really liked Schuyler; especially that she was different, kind of punk rock and spunky.  I love that she visits her mom in the hospital every week and reads her the paper, even though her mom's in a coma, to keep her up to date with the news and society pages.  I hated Mimi...really hated her. de la Cruz wrote the perfect character for everyone to despise.  By the end of the book every time her 'voice' came around I just rolled my eyes and cringed.  What a self-absorbed, spoiled, condescending person.  How could she be Jack's twin?  The rest of the characters were interesting and I can't wait to learn more about their past "lives" and how they are all connected.

Overall I give this book ★★★ and 1/2       

4 comments:

  1. I picked this book up the other day but I put it back because I found a book I'd been waiting a while to read. I like the reincarnation idea and the memories of past lives. I'm a little worried about the lack of action though. I like fast paced books. I may have to check this out though because it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVED this book! I won't lie; Jack and Sky are probably in my "top 5" best couples of all time. Love them! thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I had no clue that the lore of these vampires involved reincarnation since I have yet to read the books. Wow!

    Though I have heard a lot about Jack. :D

    Glad you enjoyed it. I must start these books soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love love love hearing your wonderful thoughts! Thanks for stopping by and happy reading.